Sign in to follow this  
GlenK

Black 318is MSport in Wellie

Probably need at least a few k spent on it like most but you'd get it back over time.

• Like 1

ugh that JPS livery looks so shite on it. Interior looks really tired too.

Im not sure on the value tbh. It'd be a niche market for people that actually know and care what it is, everyone else will just see a four pot e36 sedan (basically the second least desirable model after the compact).

Ah, so the steering wheel wants refinishing and the stickers removing, doesn't look tired? Appears same condition or better than the Dakar and Fiji equivalents which have been selling high. Has the side airbag non-delaminating door card inserts too. 

3 hours ago, nath said:

Ah, so the steering wheel wants refinishing and the stickers removing, doesn't look tired? Appears same condition or better than the Dakar and Fiji equivalents which have been selling high. Has the side airbag non-delaminating door card inserts too. 

Front seats look very dry with damage to the drivers bolster and the gear knob is falling to bits. All the important touch points.  It'd tidy up, but it's asking a pretty premium price as it is. 

It’s kind of interesting as I paid slightly less  for mine two years ago, and the gear knob was falling apart (consistent with mileage), there was some rust spots to fix up, some paint to do, the seat bolster had a hole, and the odd mechanical thing needed sorted (but that’s old cars!)

So when I look at this, the stickers will come off, the rest should tidy up, and although it is a niche market (granted), it’s one of only 48 cars that came into the country, and the values are only going North with the cheapest car being offered for $12k (admittedly it was Dakar Yellow).

Yes it would be a project to make mint again, but the usual, try finding another one rules apply in my opinion. I reckon it’s priced about right (of course it would be better if it was $6500!)

But heh I like mine, and I might be slightly biased😊

On 1/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, balancerider said:

seems like it might go the way of the E30 318is

Hmm, not so sure, the E30 318iS was produced in pretty low numbers only at the end of production so is pretty rare. Also the M42/4 twin cam was spot on for the E30 version, but seemed a bit under-powered for the bigger & heavier E36 version.

Don’t get me wrong, the 318iS would be way above a lot of E36 models (316i, 318i, all compacts, etc) but I don’t feel it’s such a standout as in the E30 version.

I’m fairly certain there was an E36 318iS coupe version which would be a bit more desirable I think…

Personally I'm a fan of sedan body style, I think black leather sports seats / Style 32's / manual box are a great combo - would rather have a fun colour like Dakar or Fiji green but the black doesn't offend me.

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I’m fairly certain there was an E36 318iS coupe version which would be a bit more desirable I think…

That would be the case, except Japan only got the coupe as a 318iS (only really means it had M42/44), so a sedan is reasonably rare. IIRC only 50-something-ish sedans in 318iS spec were done here, and I think they were all SA assembled cars. The rarity doesn't really correspond to desirability I guess 🤔 and they're not exactly an inspiring drive either  

I've driven a E36 318iS coupe and it didn't set the world alight. Like in my Compact, the 4 pot makes for a decent commuter but give me a six any day, even in auto form. 

Edited by KwS

My mate has a 318is coupe and he prefers driving my compact. The 4 cylinder feels more at home and performs better with the lighter body and basic rear end. 

Still think a well sorted 318is manual would provide some entertainment on a twisty road. Least you can use the full rev range without getting into too much trouble.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, duluth said:

Did all 318is' come with Vaders ?

No, none of them came with Vaders, and you couldn't option them in to a non-M3 (not even an option code available), they were strictly M3 exclusive. If anything other than an M3 has Vaders they've been swapped in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eagle said:

Still think a well sorted 318is manual would provide some entertainment on a twisty road. Least you can use the full rev range without getting into too much trouble.

Same goes for the 328i really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Same goes for the 328i really.

Yeah i should of said you can sit and the end of the rev range.

4 hours ago, freaknout said:

Vader?

Wingback sports seats for E36 M3 (I don't think the seats in the the car the OP posted are these)

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 9.37.13 PM.png

Edited by balancerider

Dubious looking bidding. I certainly wouldn't sucked into a bidding war with a zero rated bidder. It's a 318 auto sedan for crissake 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

And up pops one that looks to be worth it. Shame its not one of the louder colours but white E36's are rare enough and look great.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3453238373?bof=7OhyAXKn

Don't see many this clean and original.

Thats a really nice looking example. Interesting/weird spec though, non-motorsport body, but sport suspension, seats and steering wheel. Povo spec OBC. Kiwis are weird.

Slick top, no spoiler and style 24s are a great choice.

• Like 2