Sign in to follow this  
mrbliss

Airbag light E46

Hi there I have a persistent airbag light on in my dash and was wondering if anyone knows of any good service centers or dealerships that can resolve the issue with a price ballpark of how much it would cost. 

car is a 1999 e46 320i, located in south Auckland 

Edited by mrbliss
  • Like 1

It really depends on what the problem is, most independent workshops will charge you $60+ just to run a scan, BMW themselves will likely charge you double that, and most wont give you a printout to take home (even though you've just paid for it). What the scan identifies will determine what's involved to fix the problem.

• Did you cause it yourself by working on the seats, seatbelts, dash, or steering wheel without disconnecting the battery?
  • Does you vehicle have an outstanding airbag recall? If so you might get lucky have it all fixed at once for free.

Where abouts in Auckland are you?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

It really depends on what the problem is, most independent workshops will charge you $60+ just to run a scan, BMW themselves will likely charge you double that, and most wont give you a printout to take home (even though you've just paid for it). What the scan identifies will determine what's involved to fix the problem.

• Did you cause it yourself by working on the seats, seatbelts, dash, or steering wheel without disconnecting the battery?
  • Does you vehicle have an outstanding airbag recall? If so you might get lucky have it all fixed at once for free.

Where abouts in Auckland are you?

I noticed it after my brother sat in my car one day. found out that the passenger seat hadn't been secured properly, missing a bolt on the back and the other bolt in the back wasn't fully in.

im located in south auckland thanks.

• Like 1

Well, you're lucky to have found out about the seat bolts, that was a disaster waiting to happen. Makes me think the seat has been out recently. Both the occupancy sensor and the seatbelt tensioner in the passenger seat can trigger the SRS light if faulty or disconnected when the battery is connected, perhaps you can spy a loose connector under or beside the seat? If you have time, disconnect the battery, wait 15 mins and remove the seat entirely (carefully) to check. Even if you do find a loose connector, plugging it back in won't clear the codes/light I'm afraid but at least you'll know the cause.

I can probably scan the car for you and reset the light if the source of the problem is addressed. I'm in Mount Wellington, send me a PM if you think I can help.