Sign in to follow this  
First Timer

Audio City Christchurch

on the South Island there is only one audio place i trust  and that is Audiocity.co.nz Christchurch. I've travelled up there twice; first time for apple carplay and NZ updateable maps that integrates with the stock CIC display and this last weekend to install a rear camera and factory code painted parking sensors. Vincent and the crew worked two hours past closing time and didn't charge extra. all work looks like it came from the factory.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 7:24 PM, First Timer said:

on the South Island there is only one audio place i trust  and that is Audiocity.co.nz Christchurch. I've travelled up there twice; first time for apple carplay and NZ updateable maps that integrates with the stock CIC display and this last weekend to install a rear camera and factory code painted parking sensors. Vincent and the crew worked two hours past closing time and didn't charge extra. all work looks like it came from the factory.

Hey mate, I just picked up an E90 with the CIC system and want to get Apple CarPlay fitted. 

What system did they fit to yours? 

Edited by MilesP
  • Like 1

the unit is a NO.5-1  CIC Limcet box.  it connects first via bluetooth and then hands over to the units wifi. yes it does connect via line input but they also add a usb cable and a small microphone on the steering column. when you first start the car the regular CIC sensors and cameras show in the head unit. once you put it in drive it automatically switches to Carplay or android (depending with what you paired). While you are driving you can ask Siri to do anything although the phone can be anywhere including in your pocket. The limcet box can also create a mirror image from your phone to the CIC unit so whatever you do on the phone (including youtube vids) shows up on the CIC. if you want to switch back to the factory CIC just press the menu button for 2 seconds (same with going back to carplay.

when it comes to sound quality , it sounds good to me but i only have the basic BMW audio setup. Total cost was $800 installed. unit connects automatically when i start the car without re-pairing my phone.  If i switch into reverse then the backup camera comes on and carplay resumes when i put it in drive. if you have the premium sound setup then it should sound fantastic. Any audio program's like  pandora, Spotify or sticher will show up on the carplay menu. also Siri can read and send texts along with using the steering column buttons to make calls.

everything is integrated into the steering control buttons.

the unit has worked great for the three months since install. I went back up to audiocity and had them install factory paint coded front and rear parking sensors and rear camera.

update: i bought the cruise control retrofit parts and had them installed by R&D European in Dunedin. that didn't go well, Factory CIC unit has no labels or language now. So next Wednesday I'm going to drive 5 hours up to Christchurch to have Soundworks connect their computer via Eurosurgen in Auckland to recode my CIC and cruise control.

Eurosurgen work outside the box and can do stuff even the dealerships can't. but the catch is they will only remotely work with Soundworks in Christchurch.

Even with the top down i can ask Siri to do things and since there is a small mic on the steering column she hears my commands even with the roof down. all i have to do is say "Siri show me the way home and it shows the map, Siri call home, etc. 

I will say its at least 10 times better than the stock CIC unit for usability.

I don't know how it rates to the rest, but if you contact Eurosurgen in Auckland I'm sure they could provide info into what the best retrofit would be.

15 hours ago, First Timer said:

the unit is a NO.5-1  CIC Limcet box.  it connects first via bluetooth and then hands over to the units wifi. yes it does connect via line input but they also add a usb cable and a small microphone on the steering column. when you first start the car the regular CIC sensors and cameras show in the head unit. once you put it in drive it automatically switches to Carplay or android (depending with what you paired). While you are driving you can ask Siri to do anything although the phone can be anywhere including in your pocket. The limcet box can also create a mirror image from your phone to the CIC unit so whatever you do on the phone (including youtube vids) shows up on the CIC. if you want to switch back to the factory CIC just press the menu button for 2 seconds (same with going back to carplay.

when it comes to sound quality , it sounds good to me but i only have the basic BMW audio setup. Total cost was $800 installed. unit connects automatically when i start the car without re-pairing my phone.  If i switch into reverse then the backup camera comes on and carplay resumes when i put it in drive. if you have the premium sound setup then it should sound fantastic. Any audio program's like  pandora, Spotify or sticher will show up on the carplay menu. also Siri can read and send texts along with using the steering column buttons to make calls.

everything is integrated into the steering control buttons.

the unit has worked great for the three months since install. I went back up to audiocity and had them install factory paint coded front and rear parking sensors and rear camera.

update: i bought the cruise control retrofit parts and had them installed by R&D European in Dunedin. that didn't go well, Factory CIC unit has no labels or language now. So next Wednesday I'm going to drive 5 hours up to Christchurch to have Soundworks connect their computer via Eurosurgen in Auckland to recode my CIC and cruise control.

Eurosurgen work outside the box and can do stuff even the dealerships can't. but the catch is they will only remotely work with Soundworks in Christchurch.

Even with the top down i can ask Siri to do things and since there is a small mic on the steering column she hears my commands even with the roof down. all i have to do is say "Siri show me the way home and it shows the map, Siri call home, etc. 

I will say its at least 10 times better than the stock CIC unit for usability.

I don't know how it rates to the rest, but if you contact Eurosurgen in Auckland I'm sure they could provide info into what the best retrofit would be.

Thanks mate! Brilliant reply. 

Tossing up whether to go with their sollution or to order my own from BimmerTech and install it myself. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:30 AM, First Timer said:

three months since install. I went back up to audiocity and had them install factory paint coded front and rear parking sensors and rear camera.

I honestly haven't heard anything good about R&D here in Dunedin.
The dealer I bought my BMW from in Christchurch had me take it to R&D to have the suspension sorted (Needed programmed into the car), instead they must have misunderstood what I asked of them, and reset everything in the car, and said they couldn't find any issues with it. 😕 Have a few friends who haven't found them overly helpful as well.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, Braydon said:

I honestly haven't heard anything good about R&D here in Dunedin.
The dealer I bought my BMW from in Christchurch had me take it to R&D to have the suspension sorted (Needed programmed into the car), instead they must have misunderstood what I asked of them, and reset everything in the car, and said they couldn't find any issues with it. 😕 Have a few friends who haven't found them overly helpful as well.

I've heard similar complaints from several of my customers

3 hours ago, Kiwi_BMW said:

I've heard similar complaints from several of my customers

Funny eh, I get all my cars (two BMWs and my old Honda Accord wagon) serviced at R&D exclusively and the guys are awesome. In fact so awesome that I’ll get my new daily Mazda 6 serviced there as well, seeing as Mazda was so useless when I asked them a basic question. However like all these situations, I bet there will be people that rave about Dunedin Mazda service …🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, GlenK said:

Funny eh, I get all my cars (two BMWs and my old Honda Accord wagon) serviced at R&D exclusively and the guys are awesome. In fact so awesome that I’ll get my new daily Mazda 6 serviced there as well, seeing as Mazda was so useless when I asked them a basic question. However like all these situations, I bet there will be people that rave about Dunedin Mazda service …🤷‍♂️

Yeah that's exactly it, everyone has different experiences at different places. 
I've always had great service at Tikeys in Mosgiel and PitStop in town. Happily go to either any day. 
But I've also heard people having negative experiences at both too. 

I drove up to Christchurch (left Dunedin @ 430am, got there at 930am) the whole fix took about 7 minutes and all the dash warnings are gone and my CIC is up and working again. 

Now I admit that asking R&D to retrofit cruise control in a E89 is not the norm for a service shop. I'm a Software programmer but not a mechanic and I prefer a mechanic to install auto parts. but my quandary was that once the parts were installed they had to be programmed. I could have stumbled my way through it but without a flowchart and code footnotes (which are computer standards but seemingly not applied to automotive code standards) I would have had to follow explicit instructions without them supplying the code language key or type.

My question is now who to trust to do maintenance on my BMW in Dunedin? I'd like Castrol oil as the factory recommends, but the service from the local BMW dealership is less than stellar: each time i go there i have to go back through CIC and change the settings back to my preferences. Plus when they view my vin as a import i get the feeling they look at me as a lower class of ownership even though they haven't had a Z4 for sale for years.

I have an Ansel BM700 so i can reset batteries, service, modules, etc; but i would prefer supporting local businesses. 

Anyone have any experience with Carisma Cars in Dunedin? I saw a lot of classic jags and BMW's  in their lot. Are they a good alternative? or should i stick with R&D? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, First Timer said:

I drove up to Christchurch (left Dunedin @ 430am, got there at 930am) the whole fix took about 7 minutes and all the dash warnings are gone and my CIC is up and working again. 

Now I admit that asking R&D to retrofit cruise control in a E89 is not the norm for a service shop. I'm a Software programmer but not a mechanic and I prefer a mechanic to install auto parts. but my quandary was that once the parts were installed they had to be programmed. I could have stumbled my way through it but without a flowchart and code footnotes (which are computer standards but seemingly not applied to automotive code standards) I would have had to follow explicit instructions without them supplying the code language key or type.

My question is now who to trust to do maintenance on my BMW in Dunedin? I'd like Castrol oil as the factory recommends, but the service from the local BMW dealership is less than stellar: each time i go there i have to go back through CIC and change the settings back to my preferences. Plus when they view my vin as a import i get the feeling they look at me as a lower class of ownership even though they haven't had a Z4 for sale for years.

I have an Ansel BM700 so i can reset batteries, service, modules, etc; but i would prefer supporting local businesses. 

Anyone have any experience with Carisma Cars in Dunedin? I saw a lot of classic jags and BMW's  in their lot. Are they a good alternative? or should i stick with R&D? 

Don't know what Charisma cars are like now but when I had them get the factory Alfa scan tool and set the clutch clearance after replacing the pump assy they didn't tighten the locknut. I had to involve the National Alfa importer to get Carisma to cover their workmanship. Not long after that they lost the Alfa dealership.

• Like 1

i do like how it automatically answers the phone call and mutes the radio. when i was driving up to Christchurch a plumber called me about setting up a meeting and i was immediately connected and we could convo even with the top down at highway speed.

Just wanted to add in here about R & D again. 
Had a positive experience with them on Friday. 
When it went in a couple of weeks back from the suspension programming issue, they noticed that both front sway bar links were worn out. 
Had them replaced on Friday, and also got a chance to talk with the mechanic who was dealing with my programming issue. He was great to chat to and very very knowledgeable. So praise where it's due 👍

• Like 1

like i said, in all fairness they did their best and didn't charge me for the whole time it took. i was asking for something they don't normally do. that said; they told me they'd sort it out a fix and get back to me and i still haven't heard from them.

• Like 1

i did get a follow up call the day after this post saying that Ryan was looking at possible fixes. I told them that i traveled up to christchurch and  soundworks sorted it out via eurosport in auckland..

like i said; i asked them to do something that is way out of the norm. i'll schedule my Z4 with them for maintenance due in May. hopefully they will give me a discount of my 14 hours travel and $200 in fuel. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:13 PM, First Timer said:

i did get a follow up call the day after this post saying that Ryan was looking at possible fixes. I told them that i traveled up to christchurch and  soundworks sorted it out via eurosport in auckland..

like i said; i asked them to do something that is way out of the norm. i'll schedule my Z4 with them for maintenance due in May. hopefully they will give me a discount of my 14 hours travel and $200 in fuel. 

after looking over what they charge for yearly maintenance it was $300 cheaper to take it to the local dealer (Cooke Howlison BMW) the dealer only charged me $150 for oil change and yearly maintenance. Plus the service is now stored in BMW.com so when i go to sell the car the new owner can see the service history. 

R&D never offered me any discount after mucking up the car.