Sign in to follow this  
richw2000

Full rear coilover LVV cert

I’m putting an e82 1 series track car through LVV currently. 

It’s a lovely process that’s designed to keep the economy moving 😂

The vehicle currently has full rear coilovers installed. (From the UK). 

the LVV cert guy is adamant that I need to change this to the original divorced setup with spring on the lower control arm. 

Can anyone confirm if I have any chance to keep the full coilover? Or should I just buy the required bits to convert back to the divorced setup. 

2590051C-7281-4169-BBE4-AFE3A544757E.jpeg

It should be do-able, we have an e46 on full coils, but on an authority card.

There is nothing specifically excluding a full coil swap. But, I imagine appropriate tower and strut mount reinforcement will be necessary due to significant more loading of those areas

Ring the LVVTA technical team, and then if they say yes, ring another certifier for second opinion. I would recommend Danny McKenna 0272401291 he is a good bloke with a firm grasp on reality 👍 

• Like 3

I've tried this path with an e36. 

The problem was that cast steel trailing arm that mounts the shock. The shock mounted in single shear was never meant to take the full load. Yes there are plenty of people doing it overseas. But that wasn't the sort of evidence they wanted. 

Much easier to go separate. Also easier to change springs. 

thanks. Yes looks like getting new springs and perches I the easiest way forward. 

LVV is quite a strange process. 
here are your options:

1.  Get an engineering approval for the change

2.  Get new springs and perches

ok I’ll take option 1.  How do I do it?

oh… nobody takes Option 1  try again  

😂 

• Haha 4

Seems a little pessimistic when a 10.9 m12 fastener will take 7500kg on the shank before shear

I think it's the potential fatigue of the top mount chassis steel. I wonder if you'd get further with a cage that mounts to the shocks, to spread the load away from the thin chassis steel.

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

Seems a little pessimistic when a 10.9 m12 fastener will take 7500kg on the shank before shear

Yes, but what is that bolt going in to? The shock mounts were never intended, or designed, to take the full weight of the vehicle, let alone any extra loading from hitting bumps at speed etc.

14 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Yes, but what is that bolt going in to? The shock mounts were never intended, or designed, to take the full weight of the vehicle, let alone any extra loading from hitting bumps at speed etc.

Good point. They do reputedly snap the boss off the arm, I have yet to see it though. Seen towers tear and subrfames remove themselves slowly with full coils though

just to be clear. I don’t think the e82/9x platform has issue running the full coils in the rear. It was a problem on older generations. 

in fact running stiffer springs in the stock location can be the cause of subframe damage due to increased flex. 

anyway. LVV wins. I’ve decided to revert the system to the divorced setup.