Sign in to follow this  
elias

Help me fix my fitment

Hello,

I have put a square set of 18x8 et38 wheels on my 2008 135i, I went with this size as they are only 0.7mm closer to the guards than apex's recommended 18x8.5 et45 wheels. I am currently running 225/40 tires all round and want to change to 235/40 or 245/40 tires for better grip and looks, apex states that 235s will fit fine no issues with this distance from the guards and 245 will fit with a 5mm spacer for shock clearance, now since my wheels are only 8 wide not 8.5 I have no issue with strut clearance so should fit 245/40 fine without spacer.

My question is why do my wheels with 225/40 tires rub on the fronts? People are running 18x8.5 245/40 with effective offset of 40 (45+5mm spacer) with no rub my 18x8 225/40 et38 is rubbing??? What can I do to fix this? Guards can't be rolled much more, and can't get a lot of negative camber ive been told.

Any help would be much appreciated, the rubbing is driving me crazy, anyone selling camber plates, m3 control arms please let me know,

cheers,

Elias 

Edited by elias

M3 LCAs, knock the pins out in top of struts if hasnt been done already.

Edited by Jacko

thanks for the reply, can't find m3 control arms in stock anywhere atm, haven't had the pins knocked out yet, not sure if that would make enough of a difference? Would coilers with adjustable front camber plates fix it?

Turners had stock last week, amazon often have them on super cheap deals (TRW parts), Superpro do PU bushed ones and are available etc etc.

Camber pin does some, it might be enough. DINAN do camber plates too... but M3 LCAs are better option to start with.

IMHO Coilovers are a great way to have 999 different settings, 998 of them wrong. 

• Like 1

have picked up a set of coilover with adjustable top camber plates, that and a wheel alignment and possibly a more aggressive guard roll will hopefully fix it, will report back with photos

Just out of curiosity, was it rubbing all the time or just over bumps? 

How about when cornering?

only on big compressions on the front, didn't have any rub in corners 

Edited by elias

Could it be worn shocks causing the car to compress down too much over bumps causing the rubbing?

also wont 245 wide tyres be a bit “bulging” on an 8” wheel?

im not sure, but I will see what its like with coilovers ,will be much firmer suspension. 245s may have a bit of bulge, not sure, was told they're the max width you can do on 8inch wheels, I do like the look of wider tires on narrower wheels compared to stretched fitment. I will test fit 2 of them and see how they fit

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 5:26 PM, elias said:

thanks for the reply, can't find m3 control arms in stock anywhere atm, haven't had the pins knocked out yet, not sure if that would make enough of a difference? Would coilers with adjustable front camber plates fix it?

Turners seem to get them stocked within a week or two of order. I had mine door to door in under 3 weeks last month (even with fedex being super slow).