Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyl

The NZ market for M2’s

I’ve had my M2 for a year now and since then I’ve noticed so many come on Trade me. Almost 20 listed now including a mix of imports and nz new ones. And they all seem to be on there for ages with a price difference of up to 20k between them all. 

I’ve even listed mine for a little bit because it’s too much of a garage queen (dog doesn’t get to go in it) however the traction wasn’t great. But that’s okay, every time I get back into it I can’t believe how great the car is.. and the sound! 

In comparison the market for M2s overseas in the states or going like hot cakes, even the DCTs. 

Point is, I’m going to purchase a better daily (currently a golf) - likely a nice 1 series (LCi M135i? M140i? If there’s any..), and will eventually list the M2 when the time/market is right or becomes less saturated. Will demand turn on here?

2350221C-5126-487F-AB12-C5C8FBC71B5C.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Johnnyl said:

I’ve had my M2 for a year now and since then I’ve noticed so many come on Trade me. Almost 20 listed now including a mix of imports and nz new ones...Will demand turn on here?

Holy crap you're right, there are so many listed, that's amazing.

The answer to your question is yes, eventually, but not until supply dries up. And I don't think they've dipped to their bottom yet, pretty much every M car to date has crashed in value before it has started to climb again, M2's have a way down to go yet (brace yourself) before they head up again.

The other big unknown is how much 'electronic' cars will actually be worth in the future. You can rely on a mechanical car continuing to work for generations, not so much for newer cars, they're going to become uneconomical to repair once unobtanium electronic modules start to fail. And we know how rubbish BMW is at electronics. I think this is an enormous cloud hanging over any car produced post 2011'ish and we've yet to see how that will impact the future market. You'll always be able to fix my e36 M3, you'll only be able to fix an M2 (for example) whilst BMW support it and they won't support it forever. Imagine the cost of replacing a LCD dash console because it's started to leak and fail? 5 figures is my guess (and there is precedence, they couldn't even get an e46 M3 rearview auto dip mirror to reliably last 10 years. smh.).

When you want to sell your M2 for $25k, tap me on the shoulder. 😉

Edit: and don't forget that BMW themselves have killed residual value of M cars by rapidly releasing incremental updates that effectively eclipse the previous model, 'C', 'CS', 'Competition' etc. They basically stabbed their enthusiast patrons in the heart unless they were in the cashed-up class, which is ultimately very few of us. BMW used to sell to automotive enthusiasts, by their own admission they now target the wealthy Chinese market. Probably economically sound, but soulless nevertheless.

Edited by M3AN

20 hours ago, M3AN said:

Edit: and don't forget that BMW themselves have killed residual value of M cars by rapidly releasing incremental updates that effectively eclipse the previous model, 'C', 'CS', 'Competition' etc.

Do you mean like when the E36 M3 was changed from the 3.0 to 3.2 ltr and became the Evo? Or when the E30 M3 Evo, Evo II and Evo III were produced..? If you aren’t allowed to produce a better update of a model then the whole car industry would be pretty much dormant.

To the original question, the M2 was popular in NZ and also a good number of UK, Aussie and Japanese cars have also been brought in as used imports. So the price will still decline in the near future, especially with the next generation just around the corner.

If anything used car prices are inflated due to the reduced supply and previously cheap to borrow money. Both of these will swing dramatically in the next few months according to most forecasts. This will impact just not the M2 but all used cars.

Noticed this recently too - lots of Jap imports it seems. Pre covid some were selling sub $60, then they went back up it. It's happened in the past a lot where the NZ market is saturated with imports and our local prices are lower than overseas. Can't see the prices firming up personally. I wonder if we will start to see a flood of f80s too?

A couple of car dealer friends (new cars) have both said that they are starting to see a slow down in demand.

Already noticed a reduction in price offered from the wholesalers for trade ins.

Seems to the way here! Suppose you can’t really compare to big market like the US. here’s to some sort of flattening/gain being the very first iteration of the M2.

Here’s to not much going wrong when my warranty is up! So far trying to enjoy it as much as I can without losing my license..