Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

The great iX grille debate - photoshop content ahead

Like pretty much everywhere else the design of the iX is polarising in the NZ market with most of the attention being on the grille. So today I did a wee but of photoshop work taking the current x5 grille to the iX and also creating one sans any grille at all. I dislike both of those options but figured it would make for good conversation.

BFE2E9A0-56B8-489E-978C-EDCB9298B2F1.jpeg

97765292-9055-4241-9603-99A7F279FE00.jpeg

4D46419E-4F3B-4A90-9B05-CDA6395D29C6.jpeg

• Like 3

It is a beaver isn’t it, I just don’t think a ‘kidney’ grill can translate to something that large. Unlike a Audi or Lexus, the kidneys are all out of proportion.

Does the iX need a large grill, I’d say yes for styling, just the kidneys are a struggle on this and most new BMWs unfortunately 

• Thanks 1

My vote is for the X5 grille with black surrounds, but I'm not in the  market for one so no one cares what I think !! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Breaker said:

It is a beaver isn’t it, I just don’t think a ‘kidney’ grill can translate to something that large. Unlike a Audi or Lexus, the kidneys are all out of proportion.

Does the iX need a large grill, I’d say yes for styling, just the kidneys are a struggle on this and most new BMWs unfortunately 

There’s a fair bit of technology behind the grille area, and size wise its about 1/3 narrower than the x5 grille while being only around 1/3 taller. 

• Like 1

Still looks like a fridge :D 

Bottom pic actually works well, best by far.

BMW should head hunt you 😂

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Bottom pic actually works well, best by far.

BMW should head hunt you 😂

reminds me of an Ionicq 5

1 hour ago, HypedKidz said:

reminds me of an Ionicq 5

Yeah.. Looks legit like a competitor, the grille really is holding most of the brands identity! 

• Like 1

i like the second photo. the first pic looks like someone photocopied their rear end and had it had it CNC'd into a grill

. their trademark is their grille. the top photo looks way out of proportion.

• Like 1

The whole vehicle is a disgusting mishmash of shapes; the grille is just the bit that draws your eye first.

• Haha 1

That's styling in general these days esp front ends. As above without the grill its basically generic.     

• Sad 1

The Range Rover one at the bottom of the first post is the best looking one IMO but also it's not characteristically BMW so we're never going to see that in real life (unless we buy a Range Rover).

The grills are just a distraction from the rest for me.

I absolutely hate the new designs.  And not an E60 oh that's a bit different but it quickly grew on me kind of way.  More like a Fiat Multipla kind way.

• Like 1

The hex mesh on the iX grille is a large sensor array for a number of the vehicle systems, it probably wouldn’t work if there were any form of slat in front of it.

As much as I enjoy the renderings of vehicles, the practicalities of the engineering and manufacture do not feature. As can be seen from how concept cars develop between design and production - there are always compromises to be made.

• Thanks 1

Probably need them for the ever increasing number of terrible drivers

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

Probably need them for the ever increasing number of terrible drivers

Chicken and egg isn't it. Drivers prob keep getting worse as they rely on the car to do most the work for them. 

• Like 2