Sign in to follow this  
SHRNTA

2 piece Wheel barrels

Hi team,

I just wanted to know if/where I can widen my wheel barrels on a set of BMW style 42's (2 piece). I want to have a staggered fit and currently the wheels are 17x8s and I wanted to see if it is possible to widen the rears to 17x9.5s.

I'm wanting to fit these on an e38 and I think these would look great on the car.

Who in Auckland could carry this out? Arrow Wheels? Wheel Fixit? or some one else?

Thanks

Probably depends on how the barrels are constructed. If they are made from an inner and an outer welded together to make a one-piece rim they can possibly be separated by cutting the weld on a lathe. Then a new outer can be fitted to give you a bit more lip. However, if the the barrel is formed as a single piece (more likely with BBS) then cutting and fitting a wider outer lip is not an option. 

You could of course have have new two-piece barrels made to fit your centres. Then you can choose the rim width and offset that you want, although the shape of the outer lip will likely differ from the BBS rim if you are picky :) Better option might be to buy a set of three-piece wheels. 

Cheers...

23 hours ago, SHRNTA said:

Hi team,

I just wanted to know if/where I can widen my wheel barrels on a set of BMW style 42's (2 piece). I want to have a staggered fit and currently the wheels are 17x8s and I wanted to see if it is possible to widen the rears to 17x9.5s.

I'm wanting to fit these on an e38 and I think these would look great on the car.

Who in Auckland could carry this out? Arrow Wheels? Wheel Fixit? or some one else?

Thanks

Lance at ArrowWheels in Kelston. The rules around what you can do to wheels are changing or have changed, so no news there. There was a company in the US building up offset sets of the style 42, but this was four or five years ago.

When everything cost less 😕

Edited by Bandit
sp

This guy... https://stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?61618-e30-316-rebuild-from-Finland/page2 converted a set of BBS 2-piece to 3-piece using the angle grinder method :) Also made a set of 3-piece from 1-piece "bottletops" elsewhere in the thread. 

6973974633_793214b7d8_b.jpg

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4899-The-BBS-RC-090-BMW-Style-5-wheels-thread/page14

Fully recommend that E30 fans and rebuilders/restorers read the whole thread from the beginning as the work the guy does is simply outstanding !!! Lots of sexy pics in the thread also... grab a couple of beers and enjoy :D

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
More input Stepanie...