Sign in to follow this  
adro

E30 6 pin auto TPS plug - 3 pin TPS

I’ve been digging into my low/rough idle issue again. I have the 6 pin TPS version as it had the sport auto box and it won’t give me continuity for wide open throttle (according to E30 zone it uses the volts to send that info through the TCU to the ECU but obviously the TCU is no longer in use as it’s been manual swapped) . I have a new 3 pin TPS which has continuity at idle and at wide open throttle. I’m wondering if I can splice a 3 pin connector into the exisiting TPS loom and have it talk to the ICV/ECU as it should (providing I get the wire colours correct) 

im not sure this will solve my idle issue as the ICV is clearly working with the 6 pin TPS at the moment. The ICV is measuring within spec.

I found a thread

that had @polley , @Etwenty1 , @_ethrty-Andy_ with the same sport boxes doing a manual swap, can you guys offer any help here? Did you ever run into lean running after your manual swaps due to not having the ECU know it was full throttle? Or did you swap to the 3 pin TPS? 

my car is a E30 325i SE that had the sport auto box and now has a getrag 260 running motronic 1.3 

cheers,

A. 

• Like 1

Been awhile so the memory is foggy. But I believe the 6 pin tps was actually 2 in 1. One for the gearbox computer, and one for the engine computer. 

I think the ones of that vintage were actually just a throttle switch for the engine computer too.. 

So you could still utilize the original 6 pin one, even on a manual conversion.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:40 PM, adro said:

I’ve been digging into my low/rough idle issue again. I have the 6 pin TPS version as it had the sport auto box and it won’t give me continuity for wide open throttle (according to E30 zone it uses the volts to send that info through the TCU to the ECU but obviously the TCU is no longer in use as it’s been manual swapped) . I have a new 3 pin TPS which has continuity at idle and at wide open throttle. I’m wondering if I can splice a 3 pin connector into the exisiting TPS loom and have it talk to the ICV/ECU as it should (providing I get the wire colours correct) 

im not sure this will solve my idle issue as the ICV is clearly working with the 6 pin TPS at the moment. The ICV is measuring within spec.

I found a thread

that had @polley , @Etwenty1 , @_ethrty-Andy_ with the same sport boxes doing a manual swap, can you guys offer any help here? Did you ever run into lean running after your manual swaps due to not having the ECU know it was full throttle? Or did you swap to the 3 pin TPS? 

my car is a E30 325i SE that had the sport auto box and now has a getrag 260 running motronic 1.3 

cheers,

A. 

hey @adro, best to text or call me these days, as i sporadically come on here now. oh twentyseven, 30793 too too.

But like Troy, both my cabby and my tech2 that had sport autos originally are both running the 6 pin circle TPS switch with no issues. 

i cant see why no continuity at WOT would cause an idle issue.

16 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

hey @adro, best to text or call me these days, as i sporadically come on here now. oh twentyseven, 30793 too too.

But like Troy, both my cabby and my tech2 that had sport autos originally are both running the 6 pin circle TPS switch with no issues. 

i cant see why no continuity at WOT would cause an idle issue.

Thanks mate, will give you a bell.