Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

Stage 1 MHD Tuning Flash on N54

Has anyone flashed a MHD Stage 1 tune on a stock N54 running 98 octane? What performance gains did you actually get? Is it safe to do so without an upgraded FMIC? Does the exhaust burble sound any good on a stock exhaust? Cheers!

Edited by qwertyk1d

I've been running the ots maps from MHD/wedge for stage 1/1+ for the past few years. Massive difference in performance and definitely worthwhile. Butt dyno would guess the claims by MHD are within the ballpark.

You'll heatsoak the intercooler a little bit when pushing it on the road but it's fine otherwise. Personally ild flash the tune then upgrade the intercooler as you realise where the limits of the stock system are. Ild definitely change it if you plan on track use. 

The exhaust burbles are fine and sound alright but personally wouldn't run them unless it was a weekend only vehicle. Could be a complete coincidence but I had to replace an oxygen sensor a few thousand kms after having it on medium. It feels like they're not great for the life of them but that's just my personal experience. 

What he ^^^^ said :) . It does what it says on the box...

1272722729_Screenshot2022-02-24at18-48-56MHDN54MapsPack.png.0e772d9913058d5dec07a20385e52ff1.png

You don't need an upgraded intercooler for Stage 1 if you are just street driving like a mature adult. But if you are doing back to back 0-160kph pulls, racing or towing a caravan uphill, upgrading is a good idea. The gains shown are for a car in good condition that is making the stock rating of 300hp @ the crank and running 102ron. If your engine is tired you will still see good gains on 98oct for as long as it lasts :) 

20 hours ago, Philica said:

I've been running the ots maps from MHD/wedge for stage 1/1+ for the past few years. Massive difference in performance and definitely worthwhile. Butt dyno would guess the claims by MHD are within the ballpark.

You'll heatsoak the intercooler a little bit when pushing it on the road but it's fine otherwise. Personally ild flash the tune then upgrade the intercooler as you realise where the limits of the stock system are. Ild definitely change it if you plan on track use. 

The exhaust burbles are fine and sound alright but personally wouldn't run them unless it was a weekend only vehicle. Could be a complete coincidence but I had to replace an oxygen sensor a few thousand kms after having it on medium. It feels like they're not great for the life of them but that's just my personal experience. 

I think this has happened to mine. I added to burble tune and have suddenly got black soot coming out on the driver’s side exhaust. Now the passenger side has started. What makes it worse is I didn’t have it on very long either. Not my thing to be honest. 

If you're going to flash your car ild strongly recommend you either buy an OBD2 cable or MHD wifi adaptor. Just gives that level of security to scan if any faults do come up. Plus running a log to check how your car is performing compared to the tune targets

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

I think this has happened to mine. I added to burble tune and have suddenly got black soot coming out on the driver’s side exhaust. Now the passenger side has started. What makes it worse is I didn’t have it on very long either. Not my thing to be honest. 

There seems to be two ways of making pops and bangs. Retarded ignition and lean mixture or very retarded ignition and fuel injected on the exhaust stroke. The latter is better if you want pops, bangs and flames, but it is not recommended if you have exhaust cats. The former is what you might have heard from old school racing cars or motorcycles running carbs. That is... genuine pops and bangs versus faux pops and bangs from EFI cars :)  

Cheers...

As I am a geek, I did some dragy runs and virtual dynos with my 2008 135i when I purchased it. 

Firstly with stock ECU Map it ran 13.4 1/4 mile.

With Stage 1 it ran 12.93 1/4 mile.

With Stage 1+ it ran 12.75 1/4 mile.

So this gives you an idea of the difference Stock to stage 1 and stage 1+ makes on these cars. 

I didn't run stage 2 OTS tunes to test, as I went full send and upgraded turbos etc. virtuale82.thumb.png.df83bf30a747c9b5ea94371b5701bfa3.png

But to get an idea of some serious power, here is stock vs 17T turbos with inlets etc.

Quarter mile not tested officially, its too fast to test without a drag day, but its a lot faster than my 11 second 335i. 

17tdyno.thumb.png.c430d5caaaf8889ee228a02ed065867b.png

• Like 3

Nice work Charles... thanks for posting the graphs :thumbs-up: 

With those Stage 1 and Stage 1+ pulls did you have downpipes installed ? Just wondering if the results you got would be relevant for my 335i with OEM downpipes ? I'm a kind of "set and forget" guy so now that the car is running nice I haven't bothered to do any logging. 

Cheers

On 5/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, jon dee said:

Nice work Charles... thanks for posting the graphs :thumbs-up: 

With those Stage 1 and Stage 1+ pulls did you have downpipes installed ? Just wondering if the results you got would be relevant for my 335i with OEM downpipes ? I'm a kind of "set and forget" guy so now that the car is running nice I haven't bothered to do any logging. 

Cheers

Yeah, stock downpipes on those Stage 1 runs, only mod was charge pipe at the time. 

• Like 1