Kees

E39 M5 For Sale

I don't think he's gonna get 65k - like his housing portfolio, the market has peaked...

Chrome line exterior (Option 346) @Kees - so apart from the black wheels looks fairly original. WInds me up that he put his 💩 personalised plate on for 3 months, previously on original 2 letter / 4 number plate.

Edited by balancerider
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, balancerider said:

WInds me up that he put his 💩 personalised plate on for 3 months, previously on original 2 letter / 4 number plate.

Saw that on the carjam and that really pissed me off. 

I'm quite OCD with original plate combos on NZ New cars since its something you cannot get back once you put a dumb personalised plate on it. Makes me even more mad when the plate has been on there for years like with that M5. 

Keeping the original combination really completes the car in my opinion. 

My W8, e34 540i and 207 GTI all are on there original plates. I'm so OCD I actively look for cars with original plates and would pay a premium for it too. 

• Like 2

We should really have the same rules as the UK in that regard @Kees - fine to change registration plate, but it returns to the plate it had on first registration once personalised plate is removed...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, balancerider said:

We should really have the same rules as the UK in that regard @Kees - fine to change registration plate, but it returns to the plate it had on first registration once personalised plate is removed...

Completely agree! Don't understand why a whole new plate has to be issued for the same car. 

Only way to get around it in NZ is to make the original combination a euro plate prior to putting the Personalised Plate on as then you own the rights to the original combination, but obviously no one ever does this. 

On 4/7/2022 at 3:56 PM, m325i said:

I've not driven an e39 m5, but I think I would rather have a super tidy e90 with budget for all the maintenance than $65k for a rough one of these. Condition & kms being equal, I'd take the m5 though.

E92 M3 manual or Z4 M coupe for me or even a 3.8 E34 M5.

40 minutes ago, Contrails said:

E92 M3 manual or Z4 M coupe for me or even a 3.8 E34 M5.

E46 M3 or just put a proper engine in my shitbox E30

17 minutes ago, Sammo said:

E46 M3 or just put a proper engine in my shitbox E30

For $65k we could buy two S50B32 and fit them into our cars.

• Haha 1

While I like the M5 and have driven a couple of them but I wouldn't pay65k for one, and think the seller is probably trying to make a big profit on purchase price since he's only owned it for approx 3 months, or he's found it needs some maintenance that he doesn't want to pay for.

Perhaps the E60 M5's are the bargains at present, there are a few of them around the 20k mark for sale........but will they increase in price like the E39 has

• Like 2

Oh man, thats my perfect E39 M5 spec... Oxford over Caramel, wood grain, sport seats 

I feel like being pre-2000 might harm its value a bit? I guess if you're after an M5, especially in that spec, it might not matter, but to most people pre-2000 is the redhead step child you dont want.

Edited by KwS

Saw this car out by the airport once, had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Pretty much dream spec on one of these for me too.

One of the best colour combos imo. Don’t think it matters that it is an early car either - it is just o for awesome!

Almost traded the e60 m5 for this when it was being sold by the dealer. Hindsight is awesome isn’t it 😎

Pre-facelift or facelift, either way you look at it, it’s still an M5. Stunning example

2 hours ago, KwS said:

Oh man, thats my perfect E39 M5 spec... Oxford over Caramel, wood grain, sport seats 

I feel like being pre-2000 might harm its value a bit? I guess if you're after an M5, especially in that spec, it might not matter, but to most people pre-2000 is the redhead step child you dont want.

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Vass said:

And they keep on coming. Looks a beaut at first glance this one. 

935224480_Screenshot_20220410-101856_TradeMe.thumb.jpg.11180c85523eeb360a1cf07aff909968.jpg

1196907629_Screenshot_20220410-101935_TradeMe.thumb.jpg.fd7874c0d4b53bb400df98897da5b65b.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3548571727

Amazing spec! 

Was for sale in September 2020. Sat on the market for a while too. 

How times have changed...

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 2.09.05 PM.png

Current ad on TM says the vendor has owned it for 5 years ------------- but the $40k ad above says it was for sale in Sept 2020.  It's now April 2022.  Something does not add up correctly.  (not that it really matters..........just sayin').

2 hours ago, leonf said:

Current ad on TM says the vendor has owned it for 5 years ------------- but the $40k ad above says it was for sale in Sept 2020.  It's now April 2022.  Something does not add up correctly.  (not that it really matters..........just sayin').

Just checked my screen recording, is the same Trademe account, so must be the same owner. 

Bet the seller is glad they didn't sell it for sub 40K! 

Edited by Kees

Don’t think there is anything off with the length of ownership with this one. From memory, current owner purchased early in 2017 from the dealer. That's when I enquired about it as well. Therefore, 5 years is about right. Cheers

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kees said:

Just checked my screen recording, is the same Trademe account, so must be the same owner. 

Bet the seller is glad they didn't sell it for sub 40K! 

Let's analyze this some. He (presumably) couldn't sell if for 40k two years ago, so what now? He won't sell it for $55k?  What has been gained? Ok, the value of the car has definitely risen, and it can definitely be sold for $40k-$45k today but I think he's still a bit 'ahead of the market', price wise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, topnotchrally said:

Let's analyze this some. He (presumably) couldn't sell if for 40k two years ago, so what now? He won't sell it for $55k?  What has been gained? Ok, the value of the car has definitely risen, and it can definitely be sold for $40k-$45k today but I think he's still a bit 'ahead of the market', price wise.

Honestly I think he will get 50K+ for it. Higher ks than the first two blue ones which were snapped up for presumably $40K and $50-55K respectively, however it looks to be in better cosmetic condition and is an arguably more desirable spec. 

I guess the only issue is how many people are realistically looking for an E39 M5, considering there have been 4 total for sale in just over a month? If someone really wanted one they probably snapped up either of the first two. 

That said, if I could afford it, I would buy it. Love the spec, and it has original plates!!! 

In my personal opinion, this may be controversial but I think E39 M5s will be 100K+ in the next 5 years. Rare in NZ, NA V8, 400hp, RWD, with a manual. Can't beat it! 

• Like 1

From CarJam... what's up with this? Why so many dealers?

Ownership History

8 owners in New Zealand (3 owners excluding dealers)

Edited by topnotchrally

17 hours ago, topnotchrally said:

From CarJam... what's up with this? Why so many dealers?

Ownership History

8 owners in New Zealand (3 owners excluding dealers)

Is a bit strange its been to 5 dealers, but I guess spread over 3 private owners its not too bad. Could have gone for example: BMW dealer, first owner, dealer who does a dealer trade with another dealer, second owner, dealer, third owner. 

May also be a carjam error. 

From memory I think that one was sold from Tradein Post in Greenlane at some point. 

Was a thread on this car in the past too:

(wonder if it was with its original owner until 2016 as the car looks to be in a fairly prestigious driveway indicative of someone who bought it new) 

Photos showing car was from Tradein Post:

Edited by Kees

Is it the same seller? (same TM account?)

6 minutes ago, topnotchrally said:

Is it the same seller? (same TM account?)

This time it is Chch, last time it was Welly 🤷‍♂️

So e39 m5 ownership can work like a long term rental with some investment on the side?

Edited by MD13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1