Sign in to follow this  
Matt T

E39 540i 6 speed

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3490293735?bof=I2HtFYdw

Anyone know much about the history of this car? I phoned the guy up and he's only had it a month. Sounds rough inside and mechanically, like it needs timing chains, vanos seals, possibly gearbox syncros and more. It is certed for the 6 speed conversion though. I already have a nice E39 540i but was wondering what the cost gearbox and all other components would be worth on their own?

Picture is of my E39.

20211006_122010_resized[27806].jpg

I remember it being on the market for a long time for a ridiculous (about $20k?) price. The previous owner obviously spent way too much on the paint job / conversion, realised it needed the same amount again in mechanical work, and tried to recoup his losses. 

I wouldn’t touch it, personally. 

• Like 3

He's been trying to sell it for awhile. Don't even know why you do all that work to a rough non msport. If syncro's are bad or depending how bad, then the box isn't worth very much imo (given the cost or if even possible to rebuild)  

Im sure you can look on US forums, ebay etc to get an idea how much a conversion goes for. Ive only seen the boxes for sale here locally for around 4k, so adding another 1-2k for the rest of the parts id say gets you in a ball park if one was available.

• Like 1

It's a trashy colour too. Why spend all that money to downgrade it from it's factory titanium silver?

• Like 3

Yeah pretty much reinforced my thoughts, thanks peeps. I think I'll give it a miss, I'm willing to do a few mechanical repairs but the paint job and rough interior puts me right off. Wish I saw that M5 before it was withdrawn / sold 😭

• Like 2