Sign in to follow this  
Jun

Thinking about selling the E60 M5

As some of you know, we purchased a E60 M5 a few years ago.  Bimmersport has been with us throughout the journey of finding/hunting for a M5:

And been posting about the ownership journey every now and then:

This year me and my wife have decided to let go of our cars, due to changing circumstances.  Sadly sold our R34 which we owned for 16 years a few weeks back.  We are as well contemplating on selling my wife's M5.  I have seen on trademe E60 M5 being sold from mid $30ks to $40ks.  We have a natural bias on our car, also having spent a lot on it (see thread above).  Just a quick glance of the current listing in trademe, none of them has a similar combination of low-milage (64k kms), replaced all major E60 issues/consumables and option/trim level.

We are lucky enough that we don't need the funds urgently, however if we find the right buyer and price we have made up our mind to let go of it.  Thinking of listing on trademe, but I guess the price we are after is more than the current listings.  I am already spent a good deal of time prepping and selling our R34.  I don't have time and energy to sell another car.  Or should I just list on trademe and see how it goes?

IMG_0122.JPG

There's no right or wrong answer Jun, you'll do what's best for whatever the circumstances you and your family are in.

Timing is a crystal ball exercise... I sold my m135i early in the year and it seems there aren't a whole heap of buyers in the market with cash and ready to go. I've got a mate who is selling a (very good) E63 who's finding the same.

If getting top dollar is important there's little evidence I've seen that it's out there at the moment - unless talking collectibles which are a different market again... but it only takes one person - and you need to be in the market when they are.

Having seen your car, and how well it's been looked after - if I knew of anyone wanting a good e60 M5; I know the direction in which I'd be pointing them.

Whichever way you go, all the best.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words @SmithyInWelly in this weird times we are in.  I guess that "health is wealth" cliche isn't something you think about until it becomes real.

Yes timing the market is not possible.  I actually looked at selling our R34 three times over the decade, but my wife keeps in discouraging it.  As we really enjoy the car still, how lucky for us when we needed to sell it there are still buyers for it 2-3x more than our purchase price.  We where also lucky enough even with a dealers price cut who purchased the R34 sight unseen and very quick transaction.  Either they already had a buyer already, or they knew they can sell the R34 much higher than current market prices.

The cars are not as precious to us now, they are still very enjoyable still.  Had it been a year ago we would not let go of them for anything other than silly money.  Having a few nights sleep on it made me decide not to list on trademe.  I feel there is too much energy and time in entertaining trademe buyers.  I would leave this post for anyone to read in the future, or like you if you encounter someone who gets the V10 bug they can look at digging out this post.  Maybe we get to sell in 1 month, 1 year or 1 decade.... who knows.

Thanks love the community around the cars, I think that is what is best about the ownership of these cars.

• Like 1

Might get $30k on a good day.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, GorGasm said:

Might get $30k on a good day.

Unfortunately, I agree that the market for out E60 M5s hasn't really firmed up heaps, but...

• there are less for sale these days - majority of M5 activity is F10/F90 now
  • most are listed for $30-$40K nowadays - with some under and some over.

@Jun yours is a super tidy example with good spec, low KMs and bearings done - so you're right to look for a decent price. 

• Like 3