Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

Jap Import 1 Series - Rear View Mirror

Does anyone know if its possible/easy to swap the japanese import rear view mirror on a 1 series for a UK/European one so you can take advantage of the programmable gate/garage door buttons? Feels sort of useless having the Japanese toll gate version with no purpose.

image.png.a56efd030f9f3c6c3af61b24e4d03a96.png

Cheers

I fitted one to an e39 years ago but it went in the headlining as opposed to being part of the mirror, you need to carefully check your frequencies though as garage remotes aren't the same world wide. the wiring was there already and there was no coding involved it was just a straight swop and worked like factory intended with our old 80s model merlin garage

heh I was actually just thinking this myself the other day. I quite dislike the bulky EToll mirror, and was wondering about swapping to either a normal one, that still has auto-dipping, or the one with the buttons (Not that I have a need for those yet). 
Haven't done any research yet though.

Just now, Braydon said:

heh I was actually just thinking this myself the other day. I quite dislike the bulky EToll mirror, and was wondering about swapping to either a normal one, that still has auto-dipping, or the one with the buttons (Not that I have a need for those yet). 
Haven't done any research yet though.

Keep me in the loop with your research, I'd go a standard one if the buttons wouldn't work with my gate remote!

• Like 1

all the cheap ones I found on ebay were not NZ compatible frequency wise for our garage

the trick is to buy the mirror with the buttons, and then dismantle your old garage remote down to its circuit board only , which can then be hidden somewhere inside the roof lining and run a hidden pr of wires from the button on the remote to the button on the mirror. basically you are just using the mirror button to temporarily  short a circuit and its very easy to do. its easy to see the points on the circuit board that the existing switch is actually working on and solder wires to them.

you can buy really tiny replacement remotes for alot of merlin doors  and you could possibly hide the whole circuit inside the mirror and bypass/cutout their incompatible circuit inside to make room for your hidden

remote.

Edited by kwhelan
  • Like 1