Sign in to follow this  
Vinu Chandrakumar

E30 M40 Mysterious Pipes

Hi all, 

Have found myself another E30 after a few years of not owning one, my first 4 cylinder.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what these pipes are: 

IMG_2432.thumb.jpg.96005c79f543cafc7038272c8b2bd841.jpg

Also seems like my cooling system is from an M20, Does anyone have an M40 radiator lying around. 

IMG_2434.thumb.JPG.5584913fec6478591e1a590c5d7f9173.JPGIMG_2433.thumb.JPG.7057d6e0849c3da4c8a16218597724d6.JPG

Great to be back on the forums, thanks in advance.

Vinu

Edited by Vinu Chandrakumar

Aren’t they the heater pipes from memory?

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

Aren’t they the heater pipes from memory?

Yep, just checked if my heater works. It doesn't.

Edited by Vinu Chandrakumar

There's a good chance your heater has a leak and a previous owner couldn't be bothered taking the dash out!

• Like 3

Hard to see where the hose goes as its covered, but it looks to have been bypassed probably due to heater core leak

have heater core and valve if needed

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aja540i said:

There's a good chance your heater has a leak and a previous owner couldn't be bothered taking the dash out!

Does it require taking the whole dash out? That's gonna be fun. 

Here's a pretty good diy video for heater core

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vinu Chandrakumar said:

Does it require taking the whole dash out? That's gonna be fun. 

No.  It's a somewhat shitty job.  Remove glovebox, remove centre console, unbolt brake booster etc.  Install a new heater core, you don't want to do that again if a used part fails!

I got new OEM M40 radiator from Abel Smith Radiators in Wellington.  It's been in 3 years and 4 months, trouble-free.  Be sure to get Genuine BMW Coolant and some deionised water.

PS - you'll want to check out (and perhaps replace) your thermostat, clear the bleed bolt etc, perhaps new bolts.  Disconnected rotted heater may indicate some cooling system neglect.

Edited by Olaf
added postscript
  • Like 1

Unless you’re going to replace all of it.. core pipe, matrix, hoses, etc. I would plumb it back in to find exactly what is leaking, and where from.

I thought I was staring down the barrel of pulling it all out when at the last minute I found the leak was from one of the pipes coming through the firewall (those ends sticking out corrode and don’t seal against the rubber hose). Cleaned it up with sand paper a bit of sealant for good measure and was all good.

It helps that coolant is bright green so you can see it easier!

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd go with Jon's advise on testing where the leak is coming from.

I'd add to his notes, that it's worth removing the center console, and glovebox, and putting down some towels to try catch whatever comes out

Hopefully it's just a dribble, and you don't end up with something like so

gtMOzAFrxqncx88gNSzd2KtXqfazqqIPWi4lrkyjljhQHQI1-JLbvySSdYI_K4CqqZIR9fBucQh8bS3I3tzm2Lg_F4SarHGG9sdvRi5xaUpKoYXEeoqpKCvoTF6G58jhKv4RYUQgG1LqJTTbMMyYOtoLkDm_MwQ7Y5PvziqIieAZ3uD9zm4QC01onKHQqA86iHDAOxZY7Tkvdw4O3CkFuKsqIbigJ2jpGVk-LhqCfUPQkyqI0lTyLlYrnf7wBAMqiazpQcwD5ervk2Q8MJqqVz3ThgcWl-I-JSP-fYVWeVUUtBRVUkvZgrElofhXRDbP80xfCCWMVDE9OQ3RQAZX0GGvuEpMI5SpzBobUajPQQE2IkSY6AFbZIG31WOAB-fQxasiXsbc1kLmDGBkpYIeKI4t1BispF4-7iHeF0ZNrEF58QVtqvEkuaBNcIK2R-bEoov_7oGOW-I80UqiKE3PtP8tb7QNwWmmOk4KVcuTfnq7KWXzHyUS2YdWkkbyjjJJ_yFWvWXTWbcib9pnGDZVhI026vnhLZ0EvVv1rj2uJLUJvPRb0h4M6MpNmfb184BbY4dwO6WHfDBF_uNF67Vlg1cnUGwW-565lMmKpgL94qjsflRLX5r1IR-MKT8iixQQq23qU7heaOINosImyZdRQxVC950BZd5fCCo4yZrKfGSqP7SOZPMx6A7VtxRNLory7KVXMJD1ocHjSONt5WR6du5L=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

Even better is to borrow/buy a pressure tester and pressure test the heater core with just plain water in it. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:20 PM, 325iRod said:

Here's a pretty good diy video for heater core

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

No.  It's a somewhat shitty job.  Remove glovebox, remove centre console, unbolt brake booster etc.  Install a new heater core, you don't want to do that again if a used part fails!

I got new OEM M40 radiator from Abel Smith Radiators in Wellington.  It's been in 3 years and 4 months, trouble-free.  Be sure to get Genuine BMW Coolant and some deionised water.

PS - you'll want to check out (and perhaps replace) your thermostat, clear the bleed bolt etc, perhaps new bolts.  Disconnected rotted heater may indicate some cooling system neglect.

13 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Unless you’re going to replace all of it.. core pipe, matrix, hoses, etc. I would plumb it back in to find exactly what is leaking, and where from.

I thought I was staring down the barrel of pulling it all out when at the last minute I found the leak was from one of the pipes coming through the firewall (those ends sticking out corrode and don’t seal against the rubber hose). Cleaned it up with sand paper a bit of sealant for good measure and was all good.

It helps that coolant is bright green so you can see it easier!

4 hours ago, nick496 said:

Yeah, I'd go with Jon's advise on testing where the leak is coming from.

I'd add to his notes, that it's worth removing the center console, and glovebox, and putting down some towels to try catch whatever comes out

Hopefully it's just a dribble, and you don't end up with something like so

gtMOzAFrxqncx88gNSzd2KtXqfazqqIPWi4lrkyjljhQHQI1-JLbvySSdYI_K4CqqZIR9fBucQh8bS3I3tzm2Lg_F4SarHGG9sdvRi5xaUpKoYXEeoqpKCvoTF6G58jhKv4RYUQgG1LqJTTbMMyYOtoLkDm_MwQ7Y5PvziqIieAZ3uD9zm4QC01onKHQqA86iHDAOxZY7Tkvdw4O3CkFuKsqIbigJ2jpGVk-LhqCfUPQkyqI0lTyLlYrnf7wBAMqiazpQcwD5ervk2Q8MJqqVz3ThgcWl-I-JSP-fYVWeVUUtBRVUkvZgrElofhXRDbP80xfCCWMVDE9OQ3RQAZX0GGvuEpMI5SpzBobUajPQQE2IkSY6AFbZIG31WOAB-fQxasiXsbc1kLmDGBkpYIeKI4t1BispF4-7iHeF0ZNrEF58QVtqvEkuaBNcIK2R-bEoov_7oGOW-I80UqiKE3PtP8tb7QNwWmmOk4KVcuTfnq7KWXzHyUS2YdWkkbyjjJJ_yFWvWXTWbcib9pnGDZVhI026vnhLZ0EvVv1rj2uJLUJvPRb0h4M6MpNmfb184BbY4dwO6WHfDBF_uNF67Vlg1cnUGwW-565lMmKpgL94qjsflRLX5r1IR-MKT8iixQQq23qU7heaOINosImyZdRQxVC950BZd5fCCo4yZrKfGSqP7SOZPMx6A7VtxRNLory7KVXMJD1ocHjSONt5WR6du5L=w1708-h1281-no?authuser=0

4 hours ago, KwS said:

Even better is to borrow/buy a pressure tester and pressure test the heater core with just plain water in it. 

Thanks for all the tips guys have sorted the correct radiator, new too. Gonna plumb everything back up and find out where my leak is actually coming from, then get to either replacing or fixing the necessary parts. 

• Like 1