Sign in to follow this  
treone

Thoughts - Price of petrol in 2022

for our household it’s looking like an additional $3.5 k per year , but might be able to offset 1,500 with working from home a couple days a week.

kind of glad the car doing 20,000 plus kms a year is a turbo diesel running 6.5 L / 100 km verse the other option was looking at which would have be closer to 12 L / 100km.

looks like we will be up for $20k per year to run / park / service the two vehicles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, balancerider said:

Non SUV BMW 2.0d will comfortably do 5.5L/100k in mixed driving and probably <5 if all open road so shifts the equation favourably. No doubt in my mind a small capacity diesel is more economical than a petrol in the same vehicle (if you’re doing open road km), especially with any use of the throttle.

But with our super cool and unfair ruc system, 5.5L/100km on a diesel works out to be around $4k/yr, which is the equivalent of my cheap and garbage hybrid doing 6.5/100km 

The RUC thing is garbage, unfortunately 

Ill be spending more time driving the e30 rather than the thirsty e92 335i.

5 hours ago, balancerider said:

Non SUV BMW 2.0d will comfortably do 5.5L/100k in mixed driving and probably <5 if all open road so shifts the equation favourably. No doubt in my mind a small capacity diesel is more economical than a petrol in the same vehicle (if you’re doing open road km), especially with any use of the throttle.

Reviewing online data, I should get better than 5.9L/100km in the X3 (equates to 1100km per tank). The job and role I have, and the purpose for the vehicle, mean an X3 is better-suited than a saloon or similar.

4 hours ago, gjm said:

Reviewing online data, I should get better than 5.9L/100km in the X3 (equates to 1100km per tank). The job and role I have, and the purpose for the vehicle, mean an X3 is better-suited than a saloon or similar.

That lovely nissan you're driving would have a much nicer interior and ride than an x3 though 😬 they are absolutely ghastly

• Sad 1

Depends which generation of X3, the first was not great, the F25 was pretty bloody good, the G01 is awesome. Saw an X3 M40i out drag a modded Skyline from the lights on the South Eastern last night, the Nissan nearly crashed trying to keep up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Depends which generation of X3, the first was not great, the F25 was pretty bloody good, the G01 is awesome. Saw an X3 M40i out drag a modded Skyline from the lights on the South Eastern last night, the Nissan nearly crashed trying to keep up.

1st gen, they must quite easily be the worst built bmw I've ever had the misfortune of driving/fixing. 

Would rather drive a spoon up my *rse than drive another of those 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

That lovely nissan you're driving would have a much nicer interior and ride than an x3 though 😬 they are absolutely ghastly

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

1 hour ago, dirtydoogle said:

1st gen, they must quite easily be the worst built bmw I've ever had the misfortune of driving/fixing. 

Would rather drive a spoon up my *rse than drive another of those 

The one I found is a low mileage... E83. On paper - fits the bill. Based on the experience of others (my favourite way of learning) it seems it is not such a good idea.

X3 30d gets around 700km in town. $140 to fill up + RUC and it's similar to petrol prices. But you get v8 like performance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Assuming it has decent history, I’d go for this.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/x3/listing/3395665885

It’s been on for a while, hit them low.

It's an F25 so hopefully wouldn't see me incur the spoon-up-bum wrath of Mr Doogle... ;)

3 hours ago, m325i said:

X3 30d gets around 700km in town. $140 to fill up + RUC and it's similar to petrol prices. But you get v8 like performance. 

I do like the idea of that. I'm trying to persuade my boss that he wants to part ways with his X5 3.0D, but he quite fairly says - what would he get to replace it that won't cost $Big?

Edit:  Ah. Slight fiduciary issue in the purchasing department where a 3.0D X3 is concerned... :(

Edited by gjm
  • Haha 1

No regrets getting my G20 320d especially now. Get about 900kms to a tank mixed driving so including RUC still works out to be quite a bit cheaper than running my old 135i, 400nm of torque is plenty too.

22 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

The RUC thing is garbage, unfortunately 

Our current Road User system is not flexible or clever enough to cope with all the varieties of vehicle types, sizes and weights. Heavy Truck & Trailer RUC is a nightmare as well.

Throw RUC on EVs in there as well and it is completely broken, needs a totally new system and use modern electronic measuring and charging systems.

Has anyone ever had success in claiming back the tax on their petrol because it wasn’t used on road? For a boat or jet-ski maybe? Race cars aren’t eligible unfortunately.

I can't remember what the other thread was but my hypothetical scenario was, what if everyone could live within 5km of their place of work?  A lot of naysayers came out on that one.  But what if you could afford a place that you like or have a job close to your house?  I used to commute in Auckland traffic, what a colossal waste of time and money that was.

Price of petrol isn't an issue for me yet as I barely drive anywhere.  Even so an electric car would be great to have.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Our current Road User system is not flexible or clever enough to cope with all the varieties of vehicle types, sizes and weights. Heavy Truck & Trailer RUC is a nightmare as well.

Throw RUC on EVs in there as well and it is completely broken, needs a totally new system and use modern electronic measuring and charging systems.

Has anyone ever had success in claiming back the tax on their petrol because it wasn’t used on road? For a boat or jet-ski maybe? Race cars aren’t eligible unfortunately.

The system is capable (upgraded in around 2012-13. The product is there (Eroad). A cheap solution could be offered but there is no interest from the government.

While I was working at Eroad I had a test unit in my old 530d. Was amazing. But it only suites commercial applications where the off road claim back (automated) easily covers the subscription.

Your own product could be built with the IOT costs these days. But still only worth it if you are doing lots of private road driving. 

I solved my problem with fuel prices...

I bought this:

image.thumb.jpeg.782ff9d3ec16a4bad1a1988460c8112c.jpeg

Makes our 2.0 and 3.2 Tourans look positively frugal!

Even with their consumption combined🤣

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

'That lovely Nissan' has an awful ride at highway speeds! And it's worse in town, crashing through potholes and the like.
I dread to think what an early X3 would be like. 🤯

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Allanw said:

I solved my problem with fuel prices...

I bought this:

image.thumb.jpeg.782ff9d3ec16a4bad1a1988460c8112c.jpeg

Makes our 2.0 and 3.2 Tourans look positively frugal!

Even with their consumption combined🤣

You have a 3.2l Touran?  That must be rare and high spec? 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

The system is capable (upgraded in around 2012-13. The product is there (Eroad). A cheap solution could be offered but there is no interest from the government.

While I was working at Eroad I had a test unit in my old 530d. Was amazing. But it only suites commercial applications where the off road claim back (automated) easily covers the subscription.

Your own product could be built with the IOT costs these days. But still only worth it if you are doing lots of private road driving. 

Any chance you could go back to eRoad? They are among the most awful companies to deal with. No-one knows anything, and shipments for installation come in unmarked boxes with no information as to which vehicle they are for.
Contacting them is a nightmare. Customers have spent hours on hold waiting to speak to someone, and we sometimes get emails replied to - eventually.

4 hours ago, m325i said:

This is the key for the 30d/35d engines. They aren't amazingly frugal if you compare to something like the 1.4TSI in the VW Golf, but you can cane them in big cars and still see single figure L/100k figures, if you did that to a V8 you might be looking at double the consumption

• Like 4

On 3/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, E28E30 said:

You have a 3.2l Touran?  That must be rare and high spec? 

Very, very rare... B) When I finished it, it was the only fully functional one, with 4WD and everything.

There aren't that many people weird enough to bother :lol: It was built from an NZ new Touran, so pretty average spec.

5 minutes ago, Allanw said:

Very, very rare... B) When I finished it, it was the only fully functional one, with 4WD and everything.

There aren't that many people weird enough to bother :lol: It was built from an NZ new Touran, so pretty average spec.

Oh wow! Custom grunter people mover :)

• Like 1

Be interesting to see the psychology behind the reactions to fuel prices... People selling their $10000 'gas guzzler' only to buy a more efficient $30k car that will take 15 years to break even on fuel costs before depreciation is factored in. 

My daily V6 wagon averages 8.2l/100km, takes 70ish litres to fill and I'll get around 900km on a trip. 

I usually do 700-800km/week. The increase in fuel price has seen me $40-50 out of pocket/week but I acknowledge I do more km than most. Not enough to break the bank and definitely not enough to make me loose my sh*t and sell my car in favour of a diesel or EV as a knee jerk reaction. 

I've been hankering for a decent V8 - Lexus LX570, 200 Series Land Cruiser or a Ram 1500, but simply refuse to pay the inflated prices for them (3 year old LX and Ram asking prices at or near their RRP,  LC200 $20-40k more than RRP). Hopefully this increase in fuel prices hits the over inflated used car market and brings it back to what it should be. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coop said:

I've been hankering for a decent V8 - Lexus LX570, 200 Series Land Cruiser or a Ram 1500, but simply refuse to pay the inflated prices for them (3 year old LX and Ram asking prices at or near their RRP,  LC200 $20-40k more than RRP). Hopefully this increase in fuel prices hits the over inflated used car market and brings it back to what it should be. 

S/h car market is a ridiculous thing at present and despite the Covid import issues, doesn't really make any sense.

The vehicles you mention are right up there with other overpriced vehicles. I'd add a Hilux to the list! (Bl**dy horrible things to drive - what do people see in them?)

What is your V6 wagon?

• Like 1