Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

A bit boring but surprisingly fun...

Late last year I got a pretty shite cancer diagnosis... so what's the first thing you do? You update your fleet of course!

I wanted something fun and with a decent bit of power. Really liked Kyu's M135i but lockdowns were a bastard so bought one locally. Effin fantastic car - took it over to Martinborough a couple of times and it was absolutely brilliant! Pottering around the mean streets of the Hutt - not so much... so much performance but pretty pointless at legal-ish speeds.

So, looked at a few other options and decided on a Golf Gti - mid 20-teens vintage. Went a car yard on town that had an ex-Aussie one with a 'roof (luv my roofs!) and the muppets had sold it earlier the same day. Bugger.

The did however have a Kiwi-new A250 Sport... good service history, kms, spec; roof, leather, bluetooth - everything worked, so took it for a drive and was very surprised... it was surprisingly fun - and with enough performance, if not a lot. So did the deal, and ended up losing a bomb on the M135i... oh well - I've had a good run the last few years.

But yeah; the 250 - worth a look if you're in the warm hatch market... and being a turbo it's relatively easy to stoke the fire a bit more if that's your thing - and get some pretty decent numbers out of them.

Mine's bog standard and I'm toying with the idea of a tune and some exhaust upgrades, and swapping out the grille for something less, erm, annoying... but then an A45 isn't much more $$$$, and then I remember whilst I've driven plenty of V8's over the years - I've never actually owned one...

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Edited by SmithyInWelly
tmi
  • Like 7

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis @SmithyInWelly, and congratulations on spending some money on a toy or two! Your A250 looks really nice, I like that grille but imagine you can get an AMG one online?

Great colour!

• Like 1

Also sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hope it doesnt affect your quality of life too much.

Re your M135 that you had to sell on, it has ended up back on trademe for sale for a very reasonable price!

www.trademe.co.nz/3519830527

If anyone in wellington is looking for something locally then worth a look I think!

I have had quite a bit of seat time with those A250 as well as an A45 AMG as well as CLA250 and CLA45 AMG's and I think they are pretty cool/fun cars. I find that the A45 rides very stiff though and the A250 is actually a much more pleasant daily drive. The gear knob needs a bit of getting used to though!

• Like 1

Someone should get Kyu's M135i, then someone else can get the one I had... drives well, good spec - awesome little cars!

Agree re the ride of the '45... looked at a couple but they're more hardcore than the M135i... but it all comes down to what you want :)

1 hour ago, E28E30 said:

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis @SmithyInWelly, and congratulations on spending some money on a toy or two! Your A250 looks really nice, I like that grille but imagine you can get an AMG one online?

Great colour!

Will look for something if I keep it... but don't want to be one of "those" AMG wannabe guys lol... though a mate did get me a AliExpress engine badge so I'll put that on for the photos when I sell it... just for laughs 🤣

• Like 1