Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

Harry's Garage review of the BMW iX xD50M

If Darth Vader and a Chipmunk had a head on this is the love child, a face that only a mother could love. Be warned, once you have seen the ugly you cannot un-see the ugly, and everyone bagged Chris Bangle........

The only thing  more infuriating than the look of that grille is the fact that it doesn't even need a grille!

10 hours ago, Twistee said:

everyone bagged Chris Bangle........

Exactly... they were wrong. 

New M3 looks good (not great), this is will mature well too.

Apart from that grill, I really actually do like it. I'm quite surprised at that. 
Love the interior, and the taillights etc. Couldn't see myself ever affording it at that price point though, wow.

5 hours ago, aja540i said:

The only thing  more infuriating than the look of that grille is the fact that it doesn't even need a grille!

It does feel like a race between BMW and Audi to see who can get the largest grill (towing a vehicle behind it) into production. 

And regarding Bangle who I think everyone just assumed (myself included) was the designer of the E60/E61 series - this story and the accompanying audio interview completely changes that one. 

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/09/26/chris-bangle-reveals-the-truth-of-the-e60-5-series-design/

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see the exterior of that ever being looked at as a classic by future generations. 

• Like 1

Don’t leave Lexus out of that race, relatively scarce here but becoming more noticeable (which is the whole point).

Slightly OT but related to BMW styling.  Saw one of these at CJ BMW yesterday, actually a very cool looking car.

image.thumb.png.53849b3c36e8bc9f431c6c6ad1e2cd72.png

image.thumb.png.89097639d94d728ed36fe05af5abeae2.png

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 3

Just the new Remurewa tractor. 

The charge time without 3 phase is a laugh.

Its also $220,000 NZD in this vid. So I guess the power bill won't be of concern. I can imagine the NZ version will have a significant mark up too. 

At 2.5+ ton I hope it is charged a decent amount of RUC.

Its like the anti enthusiast vehicle. The bonnet doesn't even open.... 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

The charge time without 3 phase is a laugh.

At 105kw, you would expect to have at least a 240v basic charger installed to feed it, that would give 7kw/hr minimums. Based on everyday use charging to 80 or 90% from say 10% your realistically only putting 80 kw in at a time, 11 to 12 hrs.
I doubt many owners would come back one day and need to do more then another 450ks the next. Oh and cost to charge at 19c kW, even to 100kw (vege maths) $19. Not what I’d call a concern.

RUCs are likely to be exempt for a new owner, rightly or wrongly till well past 2024 which is the current exempt period so for most new buyers, they’ll never pay a cent for their 3ton tank.

oh and of cause theres a M60 even faster one coming!

• Like 1