Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

Why do later model luxo barges depreciate catastrophically?

Why can you pick up a pre LCI F01 730D for less money than the equivalent 530D ? It can't just be because the bleeding edge electronics and gadgets go wrong thanks to planned obsolescence surely? On paper (where everything makes sense) an F01 with under 100,000kms and a diesel looks like quite a thing, they appear to be from the first modern generation where BMW started to get things together on the reliability front. Is this a case of previous generations set the assumed poor reliability trend and getting out of that perceived funk doesn't come easily? I'm sure that a fully spec'd to the hilt limo variant has 100x more gizmos that could go wrong, but a fairly standard spec seems to be like an interesting proposition for anyone wanting a big barge that runs on chip fat. 

The engine is the same as that of the 5 series, with a ZF auto behind it (please correct if I'm wrong), I-Drive is the same, there is a lot of cross over but the 5 has a higher asking price than the 7 ? 

No, I'm not trying to talk myself into buying a 730D. Just interested to know what  I'm missing in the man maths.

• Like 2

I would say that applies to most luxo barges. Feature aside, the added weight and dimensions of the 7 are more a negative than a positive over the 5 to me. Unless you are in the back seat or care about passenger leg room etc then you are lugging around extra weight which generally costs you. Body parts are usually less common so harder to source too. 

Thinner is usually the winner. Im sure the 330D is more popular and may cost more than the 530D in the used market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twistee said:

Why can you pick up a pre LCI F01 730D for less money than the equivalent 530D ? It can't just be because the bleeding edge electronics and gadgets go wrong thanks to planned obsolescence surely? On paper (where everything makes sense) an F01 with under 100,000kms and a diesel looks like quite a thing, they appear to be from the first modern generation where BMW started to get things together on the reliability front. Is this a case of previous generations set the assumed poor reliability trend and getting out of that perceived funk doesn't come easily? I'm sure that a fully spec'd to the hilt limo variant has 100x more gizmos that could go wrong, but a fairly standard spec seems to be like an interesting proposition for anyone wanting a big barge that runs on chip fat. 

The engine is the same as that of the 5 series, with a ZF auto behind it (please correct if I'm wrong), I-Drive is the same, there is a lot of cross over but the 5 has a higher asking price than the 7 ? 

No, I'm not trying to talk myself into buying a 730D. Just interested to know what  I'm missing in the man maths.

The F10 5 series is a LOT better looking than the F01...

Having had a F10 M5 and now an F01 750i, the seven is bigger but not overly so but has more presence, same chassis even. Definitely quieter and a more refined ride but we’ll balanced and can cut corners way better then you would think, but really they aren’t hugely different. I prefer the look of the 7 over the 5 when it’s in mSport SWB guise and particularly in LCI. You get a lot more bang for your buck in the 7, depreciation is definitely your friend buying second hand. Seats are way better (M5 excluded) Harmen Karden system is amazing! 

A8E62043-9819-4468-8C5C-897F46BCF3F1.jpeg

B52DF021-AC37-479B-9591-324A1F5CF731.jpeg

45C647EC-233D-4EEB-853A-0D34166ED4FC.jpeg

Edited by Breaker
  • Like 2

Always been the case.

I paid $2500 for our 1989 Mercedes 500SE. That was $200000 in 1989.

In the UK, most new cars could lose up to 40% of the screen sticker price just by driving off the forecourt.

• Like 2

@Breaker Thanks for the input, love your car and that plate! If I was looking at a daily these seem to tick boxes all over the place. After I started this thread I went out and bought some well deserved Pizza and dropped into the local Bottle'O, parked out front was a F01 730D M Sport - and it's for sale.....I laughed my ass off, was so tempted to chat to the owner. In the flesh they have some presence wow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

F10 and F01 are almost the same car.  Same chassis, both weigh quite a lot.  Interior and exterior are very similar.  The F01 and F10 motorsport ones look pretty much the same to the casual observer.

The chassis is very capable, especially with the 4 wheel steering, as Eagle says and can corner like a much lighter vehicle.

The 6's are pretty reliable, only had basic stuff die on ours (still expensive).

A lot of car for the money.  I'd get a 740i over the 730d.

I guess no one wants to look like grandad in his big old BMW.  Everyone wants to look like they're from Herne Bay in their BMW SUV.

• Like 1