Sign in to follow this  
AlexB

E85 Z4 noise from rear end

Hi all, 

A mate of mine recently purchased a z4, upon the first week or so of driving he noticed an unusual noise coming from rear left corner, Slowly getting worse and worse. Can’t really describe the sound other than someone having a duck in a chokehold 🤣

Only starts at around 60kms wheel speed, then you can kind of drag it down to 45 before it goes away. Very unusual. Trying to see if anyone here has had a similar situation and managed to fix it, before we tear into a wheel bearing replacement, since vid was taken we have stripped the corner right back to just the hub so not brake related. Any help or advice greatly appreciated! Cheers 

Wow, I had a headset on and watched that on my phone... Almost crapped myself when the duck tromboned into life. It doesn't ramp up, the duck just arrives. Interested to know what that is as well. Good luck.

Just the hub with no drum brake? 

2 hours ago, Twistee said:

Wow, I had a headset on and watched that on my phone... Almost crapped myself when the duck tromboned into life. It doesn't ramp up, the duck just arrives. Interested to know what that is as well. Good luck.

Certainly gave us a fright while laying under the car with the wheels doing 60! 

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Just the hub with no drum brake? 

Yea, had it right down to just the arm/bearing housing. Even pulled the heat shield of in case it was interfering somehow, still there! 

If you put the rotor on and turn the axle slowly by hand, do you feel any vibration ? Not roughness, more like the vibration you get when you slowly open a squeaking door for the ghost house effect. Does one axle feel tighter/stiffer to rotate than the other ?

Cheers...

36 minutes ago, jon dee said:

If you put the rotor on and turn the axle slowly by hand, do you feel any vibration ? Not roughness, more like the vibration you get when you slowly open a squeaking door for the ghost house effect. Does one axle feel tighter/stiffer to rotate than the other ?

Cheers...

Tried that, both axels feel the same and no noise or creaking happens at slow speed or turning by hand. Wheel bearing is silent while running. Couldn’t even feel any vibration while the noise is occurring.  Cheers 

If I was a guessing man (and obviously I'm not) then I would guess that you have a dry lip seal in there somewhere. If you can find it, running a couple of drops of engine oil on the shaft and into the seal rubbing surface should make the sound go away. 

Cheers... 

PS: are you running a sweep on this :) 

Edited by jon dee

That's more like a turtle having sex? 

Two likely things, that CV boot could be rubbing between the bellows, that makes a horrible noise. 

Or a very interesting failure of the wheel bearing 

47 minutes ago, jon dee said:

If I was a guessing man (and obviously I'm not) then I would guess that you have a dry lip seal in there somewhere. If you can find it, running a couple of drops of engine oil on the shaft and into the seal rubbing surface should make the sound go away. 

Cheers... 

PS: are you running a sweep on this :) 

We tried a quick spray of some basic CRC type oil (5-56 I think)  on the CV boot and tried to get some onto the  bearing seals, no different. 

13 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

That's more like a turtle having sex? 

Two likely things, that CV boot could be rubbing between the bellows, that makes a horrible noise. 

Or a very interesting failure of the wheel bearing 

Cant say I know what turtle sex sounds like, but that's certainly what I imagine. We are probably going to go down the route of bearing failure because it sounds closer to that region. maybe give it a few "accidental"  Scandinavian flicks to see how it likes a bit of action before finding special tools for the job etc. after all, the previous owners both had it as a weekend car and they were both of age so I imagine its had an easy life. 

• Like 1

I would be leaning towards wheel bearing. Angular contact bearings do some real strange stuff sometimes 

On 4/2/2022 at 9:29 PM, AlexB said:

Hi all, 

A mate of mine recently purchased a z4, upon the first week or so of driving he noticed an unusual noise coming from rear left corner, Slowly getting worse and worse. Can’t really describe the sound other than someone having a duck in a chokehold 🤣

Only starts at around 60kms wheel speed, then you can kind of drag it down to 45 before it goes away. Very unusual. Trying to see if anyone here has had a similar situation and managed to fix it, before we tear into a wheel bearing replacement, since vid was taken we have stripped the corner right back to just the hub so not brake related. Any help or advice greatly appreciated! Cheers 

IMG_1009.MOV

Did you solve this mystery ?? 

Cheers...