Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

X5 Vacuum pump

So the Vacuum pump on my X5 40D (N57) is failing. I checked vacuum at the block by removing the tube that goes into the block and there was no vacuum. So it looks like I have a gummed up vacuum pump. Probably carbon inside because after the engine has warmed up the pump frees itself up and I get vacuum again. Looking at my options I could drop the sump and see if the vacuum pump could be serviced. A left field alternative is to use an electrical aftermarket pump and have it certified. I have fitted an electric pump to a friends  big cam V8 Chev and it seemed to work quite well. 

Before I go down that route I am curious if anyone has serviced an N57 vacuum pump? Can it be done? Time is ticking away here so if you have any info please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Have you had any oil pressure issues? The vacuum pump and the oil pump are a combined unit and there are rare reported cases of the pump drive failing, maybe worth inspecting.

• Like 1

No oil pressure issues yet. I have decided I am going to take the sump off and have a closer look.