Sign in to follow this  
ZCoupe

G20 3 Series - MSport suspension RIGID

I'm finding the MSport suspension a bit rigid for my daily driving. Guess I should have stumped up for the adaptive suspension...Does anyone know of any options that could help? I have considered replacing the F1 run flat tyres (250/45/R18) with something more pliable e.g. non runflat michelins but suspect that won't make a lot of difference?

In my previous 135i switching to non run-flats made quite a dramatic difference so might be a good place to start. I've got a G20 now too and the adaptive suspension is just fantastic, no complaints even on the run flats

Too late now to worry about adaptive suspension so not much point thinking about that unfortunately. Also, I believe that if you have Msport suspension without adaptive, then that would be the same as "normal/comfort" mode in adaptive and putting it in sport chassis mode makes it even more stiffer so actually it wouldnt help in your case?

What brand/model runflat tyres do you have on currently?  Goodyear Eagle F1 Run Flat - which one? Asymmetric 5? is it staggered front and rear?

Some are better than others. I would definitely consider changing them to a different tyre because as Navin said above, it can definitely make a huge difference. Also it is something you can do (relatively easily).

I want to suggest you try to find a set of wheels with non runflat tyres to try it on your car before committing to buy a new set of tyres but I think the G chassis BMWs have the newer PCD stud pattern so wont be as easy to find someone with a set of wheels with non runflat tyres.

Maybe check a dealership for a similar model car, see what tyres and suspension set up it has and compare the drive with yours so you have a better understanding of the issue and then figure out how to address it?

Edited by qube

Many thanks both of you, reassuring to hear that non RFTs may make a difference. The car is having a towbar fitted at the moment but recall the tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3s (fitted in 2019). As for other stats I think they are :

Bolt Pattern 5 x 112PCD Front: 7.5J x R18 ET25 Wheels, 225/45R18 tyres Rear: 8.5J x R18 ET40 Wheels, 255/40R18 tyres

I'll start chatting to our local tyre providers but I think around here they mainly deal with high end tyres for utes...

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Tyres are not too old, 3 years, but still I would think changing them would make a difference.

Do some of your own research so you dont get salesman'ed into getting something you dont need.

You could potentially order from Hyper tyres and get it delivered to your local fitters

I've done a lot of driving in heaps of different G20s, All are firm riding, regardless of Adaptive suspension or not, and M Sport or not.

Non Run flats also don't seem to make a difference either.

is the car NZ new? as I'm pretty sure Adaptive M Suspension was standard.

Edited by BMWTouring
  • Like 2

My F31 330D I went from Bridgestone to Continental, to Michelin PS2s, and definitely found the Michelins better from a comfort point of view. 

My M340D Touring arrived with Bridgestones, which aren’t great, although the car is much better than the F31. I’m awaiting an ETA on PS5s, and if the launch in NZ is too far away, I’ll run with PS4s. 

As others have mentioned; if it’s really an issue, try non-RFTs. The difference isn’t that great these days as it was when they first came out, but it may be worth trying.

Ultimately; it could be worse - it could be an X3M Competition! I test drove one and kept pushing the comfort button, but it was already in ‘comfort’, which really was a misnomer. They are AWFUL. It has a hard no from me about 2min into the drive. BMW really need to take a leaf from Porsche’s book on how to make a car handle, and still ride amazingly. 

• Like 1