Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

Problem with the ass of the M5

I went to remove the rear number plate surround on the wagon, only to find that either some ass hat has bonded the number plate on with 3M or BMW has another form of black magic to hold the plate in place. I don't want to pull the plate and destroy the paintwork - any ideas?

A gratuitous ass shot :

image.thumb.png.7bf1b09da9919ce99236b352112e9e10.png

• Like 1

Fishing line (upgrading the traditional dental floss idea) to put behind the plate and cut through the tape.

• Like 2

On mine it is the surround that holds the number plate, if you pull the outer layer of the surround off the number plate will fall out and you can unscrew the surround from the car.

Its a BMW supplied plate surround and its actually quite flimsy and doesn't fit particularly well!!

• Thanks 1

Heat it up, fishing line, "disolve it" spray, compound polish.

• Thanks 1

Might also be worth blasting some water behind the plate with the hose to loosen the adhesive as much as you can without having to pull on the plate. 

Have had the issue in the past and just used water to get it off. Fishing line is a good idea though. 

• Thanks 1