Sign in to follow this  
SHRNTA

Stolen E46 M3

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this topic with sadness and anger at the same time. Just shocked but hoping that putting this out here would be more eyes and ears in seeing my car.

Car was parked at Wilson Carpark in Parnell under the cctv camera. Hopefully the police can get the cctv footage and these pricks are found. I didn't know these cars could be stolen without the key, especially that it's an SMG as well.

I'm hoping if anyone sees it can let me know. Photos attached.

Rang the police and apparently whoever has stolen it has already put in the paperwork to change ownership (i didn't know this was possible). Tried to call NZTA but they are not online till Monday, neither is my insurance company.... wow! 

Anyway if anyone sees it - likely with different plates now, but it's got black mags and tints. Has a brand new rear bumper and slight dent to rear spoiler and front bumper has curbing damage to both front splitter areas.

You help would be appreciated.  

20190722_173204.jpg

20200506_160249.jpg

Edited by SHRNTA
spelling mistakes
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

So sorry to hear that!

man, hope it is recovered in good condition and the scum get what’s coming to them 🤬

Wow. Steal it and change the papers. “Nah, it’s mine.”

WTF.

Will keep an eye out for it. 

• Like 2

I guess if there’s a positive, the police have a place to start with the change of ownership, you have to use an actual licence to change.

Whether or not they do anything is another matter.

• Like 2

Bro, that sucks, I feel for you!

How do you steal it without a key? Flatbed?

Also on the news tonight (Prime) they actually had a bit on bs ownership registration in NZ and just how easy it was to game the system (as buyer or seller). Any DL number will do, it doesn't even need to match your name!

But I agree, if the fools have re-registered the vehicle it should be easy to track them down, hopefully they don't wreck it in a paddock before it's found.

Good luck mate, I'll keep an eye out for you, keep us posted on progress.

Yeah super curious how this was stolen without a key. Thought the EWS on these made that super difficult. 

That sucks, i really hope its found and in good shape :(

The whole "ownership" system in NZ is shite. Anyone can change any car into anyones name, and it doesnt matter. A seller doesnt even have to fill out their paperwork in order to confirm anything, only the buyer has to do their end. I could "own" every car on this forum if i wanted, it'd just cost me $9 each and some time on the NZTA site.

10 hours ago, Harper said:

Yeah super curious how this was stolen without a key. Thought the EWS on these made that super difficult. 

Even if it wasn't towed there are numerous other ways. Lucky in the this country most the bros who steal vehicles are too dumb 

9 hours ago, KwS said:

That sucks, i really hope its found and in good shape :(

The whole "ownership" system in NZ is shite. Anyone can change any car into anyones name, and it doesnt matter. A seller doesnt even have to fill out their paperwork in order to confirm anything, only the buyer has to do their end. I could "own" every car on this forum if i wanted, it'd just cost me $9 each and some time on the NZTA site.

Ive always found if one of the parties doesn't file then it takes weeks to get processed. Its a flawed system but if your car is stolen you going report it within 24hrs which im sure flags it and halts the process or something.

• Like 1

I reckon it’s someone who works at BMW that has access to a) create a key to unlock the car without activating the alarm and b) coding the fob to the car.

I’ve been wanting to get a spare key and everyone says best to talk to Auckland BMW who has access to create it. Never got it done cost to make a spare is madness through Akl BMW.

I did see some dodgy kids looking at the barrier arm yesterday when I drove in.

will keep everyone interested posted.

Sorry to hear about this.  When you get it back, maybe time to get a tracker or something like an Apple Air Tag hidden on it.  Then you’ll know where it is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHRNTA said:

I reckon it’s someone who works at BMW that has access to a) create a key to unlock the car without activating the alarm and b) coding the fob to the car.

Understand your upset about your loss but, that’s a big accusation. There’s plenty of non-BMW people that offer cheap keys, didn’t think it could be one of them?

No-one in the NZ BMW network can “create” a key, they are all ordered from Munich using the VIN number.

All key new requests are logged through the parts system so it is easy to see if a new key has been ordered for a car should this happen.

Would be pretty dumb to lose your job stealing an E46 M3 when there are thousands of more valuable BMWs out there.

• Like 5

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t software out there that can be used to overcome 20 year old bmw security systems. Thieves overseas are stealing later model BMW’s and European cars. Sounds like NZ’s scum are starting to catchup.

• Like 3

Pretty sure a lot of the more modern BMWs are actually easier to steal due to keyless ignition systems and comfort access. 

E46s are more challenging from what I've heard. It's not impossible but requires a bit more technical knowledge than you'd expect the average car jumping rat to possess. I could be wrong though maybe theres some easy way to bypass the EWS.

Any one determined could learn how to via the internet with the amount of information available. Its not hard these days with the right software and tools.  

100% if someone wanted to they could but that would require some planning or a thief skilled in a very niche area, which given the type of person to steal a car seems unlikely. Hopefully the CCTV footage provide some insight but it's probably way more likely it just got towed with the intention of parting it out.

Yeah odds are it got towed, but i wouldn't say its a niche area given the information and basic principles still apply to many BMW's and other cars. A professional car thief\auto locksmith has to have a wide range of knowledge and tools given its their job to do this sort of thing. 

• Like 1

I got 1/2 way through typing a post about how easy it is to get a key for a BMW that does not belong to you, then thought better of it.  Don't want sort of information out there on the internet.

From the information provided in the above posts, these crims are more than 1/2 way there already.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Harper said:

100% if someone wanted to they could but that would require some planning or a thief skilled in a very niche area, which given the type of person to steal a car seems unlikely. Hopefully the CCTV footage provide some insight but it's probably way more likely it just got towed with the intention of parting it out.

Yeah. I imagine it’s going to get parted out 😡😪

Its in the police register now and on NZTA claims… I give myself 30% recovering it with SMG stuffed and engine blown! 5% chance recovering it without issues.

Will see what insurance company comes back with -length before payment, process if found pre-payout/post-payout, what payout if found damaged mechanically etc…

I’ve resigned to the fact a good car has been trashed now…

thanks everyone. It’s in excusable now if you don’t get a tracker for your car, NZ isn’t that lovely safe haven anymore. I hear Iceland is for that.

• Sad 1

NZ was never a lovely safe haven. Ive got dozens of friends and family that have had multiple cars stolen. Some even at knife point.

Just do your best to protect your vehicle. Never park in a Wilson's. Have a way to track it. 

Hope you get it back.

Sadly my Wife can't park her 200sx anywhere without attracting the wrong people. So we rarely take it anywhere where it would be parked out of sight. 

Edited by Driftit
  • Sad 1

What's the go-to GPS tracker?

My M325i is always in CBD / Supermarket / Mall carparks with its 20 year old alarm immobiliser and $25 steering wheel lock... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sammo said:

My M325i is always in CBD / Supermarket / Mall carparks with its 20 year old alarm immobiliser and $25 steering wheel lock... 

There are a few good ones around, I would recommend a 5 star alarm w/ 3 stage immobiliser, GPS and SIM card for remote control and alerts on mobile phone. Should cost around 1200 - 2k all up. 

9 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

I got 1/2 way through typing a post about how easy it is to get a key for a BMW that does not belong to you, then thought better of it.  Don't want sort of information out there on the internet.

From the information provided in the above posts, these crims are more than 1/2 way there already.

If they are browsing the retirement village forums they have probably found much more than my hints.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Sammo said:

I'm thinking of an air tag. 

Reinforcing Apple's proprietary technology is never the wise long term choice, the privacy sacrifice is immeasurable.

Edited by M3AN
sp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1