Sign in to follow this  
Spinner99

Whats this?

Hi

Does anyone know what this black box thing on the left of the mirror is?  It's stuck to the windscreen like its some type of sensor but I can't figure out what it's a sensor for.  Both my cars are Japanese imports with the ETC mirrors and I'm wondering if it's maybe something to do with that and I can remove them?

Thanks

sensor on windscreen.jpg

Edited by Spinner99

It will be safe to remove, and yes ETC is the most likely.

• Like 1

An update from me - I spent some quality time with the car this week, the score is currently E87 5, Jon 2.  The box is an aerial for the VICS system, I found a part number on the cable going to the box which is 65 90 6 925 653 and the label also said "VICS-ANTENNE JAPAN".  

According to Wikipedia it's a Japan specific system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Information_and_Communication_System , and I'm guessing based on the description it might be responsible for the random "accident area ahead" type announcements I hear infrequently when driving around.

There is no disconnect that I could see (I followed the cable down the passengers side A pillar and then lost it under the dash), but I did find the other end of the cable connected to the Navigation system in the boot.  Disconnecting the cable at that end raises a fault code in ISTA A3E8 "JNAV: GPS aerial is not connected".  The money light isn't on. 

Next steps for me is to figure out if it's possible to code it out.  Otherwise it'll be staying where it is.

My motivation for removing the box is when the windscreen was replaced it looks $(#$(# now the way it's been reattached.  So if I can't remove it then I'll see if I can do a better job of re fixing the box to the windscreen.

Can you simply detach it from the window and bundle it and the cable up somewhere under the dash after extracting the cable from the headliner and pillar trim?

If you can find out what the aerial impedance is supposed to be you may be able to connect a resistor across the input on the Nav System. The error might be as simple as is the correct impedance present at the antenna input - might get lucky, If it work you can cut the cable close to the plug and permanently connect the resistor to the wire end + heatshrink etc... If you can't find out what the impedance is you could try common types like 50/75/100 ohms...

20 hours ago, M3AN said:

Can you simply detach it from the window and bundle it and the cable up somewhere under the dash after extracting the cable from the headliner and pillar trim?

Thanks @M3AN
Yeah that's what I've done for now :)  I've wrapped it in some foam to stop it making a noise and tucked it in the roof liner in a gap where the sun shades have a mould.  I'm not sure that's a permanent solution but it'll do for now :) 

Edited by Spinner99

20 hours ago, wrs said:

If you can find out what the aerial impedance is supposed to be you may be able to connect a resistor across the input on the Nav System. The error might be as simple as is the correct impedance present at the antenna input - might get lucky, If it work you can cut the cable close to the plug and permanently connect the resistor to the wire end + heatshrink etc... If you can't find out what the impedance is you could try common types like 50/75/100 ohms...

Thanks @wrs I like the thinking.  If I disconnected the cable from the navigation system and used a multi meter on the Ohms setting would that be enough to get me the answer?  The cable is attached to a circuit board at the other end so I'm wondering if that may need to be considered too?

Probably not. The aerial will likely either read open or a short - don't know anything about GPS aerials. A quick Google search suggests 50 ohms is a pretty common impedance. Since a 50 ohm resistor is a few cents it's worth a try buying one and connecting to the aerial input.