Sign in to follow this  
325iRod

E30 Rear Sway Bar

Does anyone have a e30 14mm rear sway bar they are willing to part with? 

Looking to retro fit one into my 318 chassis as the arse end feels like its all over the place, hoping this would firm it up a bit. 

cheers! 

it'll help, though your RTABs and subframe bushes are probably toast as well.  You may want to source those parts (don't bother with poly bushes unless it's a race car), and a new diff mount bush, and replace those as part of adding the rear sway bar.  

If you're not going to go 20mm at front (and stay with your stock 19mm), suggest you go with 12.5 rear.  Maintain the ratio front-to-rear.

HTH

• Like 2

Thanks Olaf, that's some good advice.

As it was a standard 318 chassis it didn't come with stabilizer links, bushes or supports so I've purchased new ones. No intention of going racing but went with Poly bushes as that's the path I've gone down when replacing all other bushes on this car.

I thought I had a rear sway bar that I had acquired sometime ago (pictured below) but I went to fit it all last night and of course it didn't fit so not sure what its from 😂

image.png.aca7707b8db59785c45b84657087af3f.png

• Like 1

Nice, I have a 16" rear bar on mine (22mm front) but wouldn't mind it having a 'tighter arse' so will do the RTABs / subframe / diff bush sometime this year.

For subframe I imagine 80a poly would be fine, will likely stick to OEM for diff carrier.

Weitz Industries (Hamilton) have a rear sway - presume its 12mm though

https://weitzindustries.com/collections/e30-suspension/products/e30-rear-sway-bar?variant=35081111077022

Edit: sorry, its actually out of stock...

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Nice, I have a 16" rear bar on mine (22mm front) but wouldn't mind it having a 'tighter arse' so will do the RTABs / subframe / diff bush sometime this year.

For subframe I imagine 80a poly would be fine, will likely stick to OEM for diff carrier.

Weitz Industries (Hamilton) have a rear sway - presume its 12mm though

https://weitzindustries.com/collections/e30-suspension/products/e30-rear-sway-bar?variant=35081111077022

Edit: sorry, its actually out of stock...

Hey Sammo, yeah did see that on his website and flicked him a message just to double check it was correct before reaching out here and on FB.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what difference it makes going from nothing to having a rear bar - im picking it will be a reasonable upgrade (fingers crossed). I'll  be sure to update my project thread with my experience. 

Did you install the 16" bar or is that part of the msport package on your beauty?

• Like 1

Going from no rear bar to having one makes a good difference.  My 316i started out with no bar, and 30 year old RTABs and subframe mounts.  I did the lot - in OE rubber - with a 13.5mm rear bar.  Later updated to 14.5mm when the front went bigger and all the front bushes were done, and H&R sportsprings with Koni yellows.  It's firm tight and grippy, but doesn't rattle my teeth or shake my kidneys too much.  

Show us a pic of the bar you've got, they're pretty recognisable.  They can be very fiddly to fit - best done with the car on a hoist.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Going from no rear bar to having one makes a good difference.  My 316i started out with no bar, and 30 year old RTABs and subframe mounts.  I did the lot - in OE rubber - with a 13.5mm rear bar.  Later updated to 14.5mm when the front went bigger and all the front bushes were done, and H&R sportsprings with Koni yellows.  It's firm tight and grippy, but doesn't rattle my teeth or shake my kidneys too much.  

Show us a pic of the bar you've got, they're pretty recognisable.  They can be very fiddly to fit - best done with the car on a hoist.

Here's a pic, it doest show the change in angles very well in this pic but if you zoom in where I've circled you can just make it out. From some Google images ive looked at this arvo it looks like it may be from a z3 or ti?

Feel a bit foolish, I've had this thing sitting around for ages waiting to go in.. should have done a bit more research but oh well its all learning.. just the hard way ha

20220419_155731.jpg

Edited by 325iRod

@325iRod I think the stock NZ M325i / Mtechnic package was 20mm front and 14.5mm rear - mine came with older model non-adjustable Whiteline bars 22mm and 16mm. I think the new whiteline bars are now 24mm and 16mm.

Its handling damn good for an old girl now, especially with new sticky tyres.

Once I do Control arms, tierods, CABs, subframe, RTABs it should be significantly better - as you would bloody hope haha

• Like 1

I think I've got a rear bar at home, will have a look around tonight

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 325iRod said:

Here's a pic, it doest show the change in angles very well in this pic but if you zoom in where I've circled you can just make it out. From some Google images ive looked at this arvo it looks like it may be from a z3 or ti?

Feel a bit foolish, I've had this thing sitting around for ages waiting to go in.. should have done a bit more research but oh well its all learning.. just the hard way ha

20220419_155731.jpg

I reckon you're right!  I recall my e30 bar is symmetrical.

10 hours ago, Sammo said:

@325iRod I think the stock NZ M325i / Mtechnic package was 20mm front and 14.5mm rear - mine came with older model non-adjustable Whiteline bars 22mm and 16mm. I think the new whiteline bars are now 24mm and 16mm.

As were the later 318iS.

• Like 1

My e30 bar is not symmetrical, and the wee hump is likely clearance for the muffler. 

• Like 1

I couldn't find any pics of mine before I mounted it.