Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

New Hongqi BMW ripoff

https://jalopnik.com/we-have-reached-the-inflection-point-where-chinese-seda-1848821592

Front end of the actual Hongqi looks a bit better in pictures IMO but I bet in the flesh it is full of weird angles.

I'm sure the new BMWs will look expensive and 'striking' in the flesh which is probably the goal - the days of 'pretty' cars are gone.

Not a fan of the skinny lights, big grill needs bigger lights -  reminds me of these:

2014-jeep-cherokee-fwd-4-door-sport-angular-front-exterior-view_100455226_l.jpg

• Like 1

The new 7 series really gives me Volvo vibes for some reason, not the front end, but the roof and body lines etc.

I see we’re only getting the i7 and no V8s or PHEVs 😕 and it’s long wheel base only

With this new 7 generation there is only the long wheel base (or should that be only one wheelbase?) being made at the factory.

After many years of creating new models and body shapes it has now been realised that all the complexity is not a good thing so rationalisation and simplification is now the name of the game.

Same for the models offered in each market, if there isn’t enough sales volume to support multiple engines then the options are limited.

@balancerider there is a little way to go before NZ gets to that position. BMW is one of the few car manufacturers that still offer ICE / PHEV / EV options across most models. Even diesel, which pretty much everyone has dropped like the plague (thanks a lot VW...).

What it seems to result in is that for lower volume series (F/G/U series) only a set number of engine models can be offered.. so only 1 G70 version, 1 G42, etc. So things like M2, M3, M4, M5 will still be available just not five different flavours of each.

Interestingly not only is the government trying to force people into EVs but the market is moving that way as well, even out side of the electric rebate bribe.