Sign in to follow this  
Kees

You put a tow bar on what!?

Spotted this today and had to laugh. Not sure what you are going to tow with your Cayman! 

2A3471FB-478D-463B-A784-AD9A8B4B230A.jpeg

305F1B24-75A6-4F4D-9C43-A009C31C7C51.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A bike rack, maybe

• Like 3

Wow not even detachable.

Would be extra funny if there was a campervan attached to that

illegal placement too, the towball cannot obscure the number plate (had issues with that before). I love weird cars being used to do things like tow trailers, but not even im down with that.

There's an E30 316i on TM at the moment proudly sporting a tow bar.

Probably pretty handy if the dog has a greasy stick stuck somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Towbars have saved me from all sort of rear end damage over the years. They just don't really suit certain vehicles aesthetically.

Spotted this lovely Carrera at Coffee and Cars on the weekend. Tow bar rated for a bike rack. Makes even more sense if you have the roof down and need somewhere for your bike. 

BBC9C80C-31AB-44A6-85D2-78296006A6AA.thumb.jpeg.87f6ebde57917a982eb85223db46933f.jpeg

• Like 1

Maybe it’s a Porsche thing. I saw a 924 Turbo pulling a box trailer up the Bombays once at 100k.

14 hours ago, Kees said:

Spotted this today and had to laugh. Not sure what you are going to tow with your Cayman! 

2A3471FB-478D-463B-A784-AD9A8B4B230A.jpeg

305F1B24-75A6-4F4D-9C43-A009C31C7C51.jpeg

Jetski, I'd put money on it being a Jetski!! 😉 

• Haha 2

My M3 had a tower fitted by the original owner 😭 fortunately long gone by the time I bought it, although I had to remove all of the trailer light wiring from the boot.

• Like 1

There was a black e46 m3 in Wellington with one years ago. Never saw it towing though or a bike rack.

Mind you. Have a two bar on the wife’s suv. The back bumper is almost the only panel that doesn’t have parking dings from other peoples inability to park.

However, for the sake of a picture mums 1987 mazda 323i had a tow bar and did tow a trailer on the dump run every now and then. Also saved the back many times going off the marks on the towbar from the parking warriors.

46B707DD-99A7-4889-9A4A-C946B4B8A835.jpeg

• Like 2

That Mazda is awesome 😎 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, E28E30 said:

That Mazda is awesome 😎 

It’s a true one old lady owner from new. Had just over 100,000 kms during this photo last year. Always garaged and Mazda serviced . 😀

• Like 1

I took a shell to the scrappys on the back of the Tech1. Moved flats a few times too with it a few years ago now.

If there wasn't a huge hole in the rear apron, id remove it but do like the idea of my car not being written off so easily if i ever get rear ended.

2014-11-20 12.34.48.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/11/2022 at 3:30 PM, slideways said:

do like the idea of my car not being written off so easily if i ever get rear ended.

Thats a myth. The only crashes a towbar helps against is touch parking and a light bump. At work we see heaps of vehicles that have been rear ended with towbars, and it usually ends up in damage to the rear floor, rear panel and rear frame rails since you are putting a ton of force through the bar, and parts of the car that werent designed to have the force there. The bars often get pushed up or down, as does anything the bar is attached to.

Utes with towbars are great, they often end up bending the end of the chassis rails. Big $$$ to fix, which is good for us 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yeah that what happened to my first BMW E34. Some drunk cuzzy in a ute rear ended it with bull bars, riding up on the towbar bending the rear boot floor and panel. Write off given the car was only worth about 5k at the time. 

I towed my old E30 series car with my E30 at the time. Was very sketchy.

IMG_2306.jpg

• Confused 1