Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Miles or kms?

Some years ago, we went to look at a Golf GTi the same company had. "Completely original" apparently, even if the suspension was a bit low-looking.

Test drive revealed an assortment of suspension knocks and a pull to the right. Back at the yard and the WoF was barely a week old. Sales person just walked off when this was mentioned. I phoned later in the day and whoever I spoke to was completely disinterested.

Now, they do have several branches and I suspect that the quality of cars and personnel will vary from location to location, so hopefully our experience is not normal.

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

km it is...not sure about the wheels but looks nice otherwise

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 6.48.02 PM.png

But the speedo is in miles and, amazingly, the dealer has converted the odo to kms, as if it were in miles.  Perhaps they are being shockingly honest?

I would be wary 

Last UK MOT milage record and milage records here all signal it is in miles, even though odometer says km 🙄 

• Like 1

Even carjam has it recorded down as Miles. I applaud the dealer for not just trying to pass it off as KM, but still a bit sketchy with the cluster saying KM.

I believe it is in-fact in km.

Here is what has happened I reckon:

1546397575_ScreenShot2022-04-28at10_32_39PM.thumb.png.666d8db4fe784c5802aeb10791c6f791.png

If we look at the carjam, it is recorded in miles. However, the car has an un-natural jump of 70,000 miles (over 110,000km) from 2019 to 2021. Clearly this is a mistake. 

In 2019 it was at 115,601 miles or 186,041km.

It then had its next WOF 18 months later in July 2021, indicating the car probably was not used, hence the WOF lapsed. 

In July 2021, it was recorded to have done 186,932 miles, but as we saw the screen is in kilometers, so was most likely switched to km prior to the WOF and then wrongly recorded. 186,932km is 116,154 miles which matches the timeline. 

July 2021: 116,154 miles

October 2019: 115,601 miles

Therefore I think it is most likely at 187,000km, the WOF inspector just didn't do the conversion after the screen metric was changed. Good looking car too, and decently priced especially with the detachable hardtop being included. 

Good on the dealer for being cautious though! 

• Like 1

Thats a big price drop. This was 50k a few months ago. Must be desperate to sell

1 hour ago, Tye said:

Thats a big price drop. This was 50k a few months ago. Must be desperate to sell

Again, oddly sensible for a dealer. Convertibles seem to be the least valuable M cars and the season is over. 

• Like 1

This has been listed at the same price prior to summer.

Real easy to swap the E46 display from miles to kms or back again, so I think Kees has got it spot on. I don’t think you can change the units in the MVR for a vehicle that easily so the car and the records have gone out of whack.

Personally, whether it’s kms or miles I would be looking at the condition of the car and the service work done. Biggest question for me would be the new wheels and non-brand tyres that have been put on. Is this the usual Pearce Bros showroom tidy up or was it the previous owner..? 
Nice price for an E46 M3 in manual, very interesting that as a vert it is cheaper than most coupes.

• Like 1

Complete with the towing eye sticking out the front bumper🤣

• Like 1

And tape holding the glove box shut... or something. 🙄

• Haha 1

Love optional extra ciggies on the floor, and the light weight "missing interior trim" option. Also appreciate the BMW "Individual" ruined front bumper, and very classy munted seat bolster too. 

Poor car. 

Saw it come up on Facebook a while ago. It's not even a factory manual. 

Realistically I wonder what its worth? 20-25K? Most thrashed example I've seen in a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Kees said:

Love optional extra ciggies on the floor, and the light weight "missing interior trim" option. Also appreciate the BMW "Individual" ruined front bumper, and very classy munted seat bolster too. 

Poor car. 

Realistically I wonder what its worth? 20-25K? Most thrashed example I've seen in a long time. 

There are a few durries left in those packs, plus it has half a tank of 91 in it - hence the higher than market asking price

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How do people let them get that bad. Makes me sad. 

31 minutes ago, Kees said:

Poor car. 

Also the cross hanging off the rear vision mirror - probably more than a few 'Hail Marys' required to avoid borkage on this one

• Haha 3

I think it’s a converted manual as well. For $40k, an E36 M3 evo in good condition would be a better car/investment in the long run.