Sign in to follow this  
warrenp

Fake forged or really forged rims?

Hi folks,

I'm looking at these used rims for my 550i.   If they are actually forged (as stamped on the rim) then I think they'll be worth getting.   Anyone here able to recognise from a pic if the wheel looks forged or cast?   It appears to have a chrome coating which on this wheel is flaking off.   I'm not worried about that.   Just after some good strong and light wheels as a second set for my car.

Are there any questions one could ask the seller to help ascertain if they are forged or cast?

Cheers!

forged.jpeg

Maybe FORGED is the wheel brand?. I would think there should be manufacturers markings on the backsides (looks like something by the valve?) to help ID the wheels. Not that easy to tell forged vs cast apart from looking at them unless they have been so poorly cast it makes it obvious. 

• Like 1

By the valve is the JWL mark and the VIA mark that are Japanese standards.  Of course these could be also faked...  Here is a close up pic of these marks.forged2.thumb.png.67d9e800acf26b564d09f657ca1e7707.png

Also etched into the rim as seen in this photo:  18X9JJ  5H/120  ET20rim.thumb.jpg.5e22d4eb48d968df88459e897505d4b3.jpg

On 4/30/2022 at 7:57 PM, qube said:

How heavy is it?

Total weight with tyre is 18.85kg, and since the Pirelli P Zero Nero GT 245/40R18 is supposedly 11.36kg (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-P-Zero-Nero-GT-245-40R18-ZR-97Y-XL-High-Performance-Tire/43082190) this would make the wheel 7.49kg.  But the tyre has lost a couple mm of tread and it could also be a previous model which weighed less so maybe the alloy is 8.5kg or something.   Somewhere round this weight.

Other numbers on the wheel are 660kg  09507-0013-213.  The BMW badge in the middle appears to be OEM, made in Italy.  No brand marking anywhere.

I'm interested to see what the OEM rims weight in comparison.  Will update and post some pics when I've got them on the car later today.

Not sure what the wheels are but if they were a genuine brand named wheel then would expect some type of identifiable marking somewhere on the wheels so if there is none, I would assume it is an aftermarket replica or no brand wheel and disregard the "FORGED" stamping as it cannot be verified.

The OEM rims are 24.1kg with tyres so about 5kg heavier per wheel - 13kg vs 8kg approx.   If these alloys are safe and actually JWL and VIA certified then my new setup will be safe yet have 20kg less unsprung weight.

I see I need spacers.  Without spacers the rims are about 1.5mm from rubbing on the front shocks.  OEMS are about 12mm away.  So 10mm spacers are my thoughts.  https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator# suggests 8 inch ET20 to 9 inch ET20 would be 13mm difference so the 10mm I measured sounds about right.

Does anyone here have a set of 10mm spacers and longer lug nuts for e61?  Or tips where to buy these?

Cheers

Cars running spacers need to be certified so more hassle than its worth usually. You run the risk of insurance refusal in the case of an accident etc. Also, no way to verify the legitimacy of the JWL/VIA/forged stampings on the wheels if they are not identifiable to a certain brand and model of wheel so I would assume it is just fake alloy with fake stamping.

Qube is on the money here.

There is a forged casting build method now for wheels, not fully forged, not fully cast, but still moulded, a slight saving in weight and less flaws in final product.

Your in for big money to refresh those wheels looking at pics posted.

Plenty of quality aftermarket wheels suitable for road use, with width and offset options for best wheel arch/ tyre size fitments, which should suit the stance and ride you seek.

Would be at least $500 to cert, with spacers.

The total no brainer is .... to restore to original factory equipment or standards, another certification is required. More$$$.