Sign in to follow this  
Choo

Misfire or something else?

So I was driving out the gym parking lot when my car shuddered, stalled and got the following alert. Trasnmission was also stuck in N for a short while.

When I restarted the car, the alert disappeared.

Does this seem to be a misfire or something else?

Will be bringing it to the workshop first thing Monday morning, but would it be safe to drive meanwhile?

Thank you guys for any advise/insight.

drivetrain alert.jpg

Edited by Choo
additional info

The wording of the advisory does not say stop driving, so whatever the fault is/was it should not be a major. If you need to use the car I would suggest that you drive it carefully around the block first to make sure it is not doing anything strange.  If there are no more messages, then drive "moderately" without using high rpm's or full power acceleration until you have had it checked at a BMW approved workshop. 

Cheers... 

Thank you for the advice Jon. Hope it's not a major thing like you said as I am quite eager to fully discover what the recent Stage 1 tune has done to my ride 😅 

Hmmm.... if you had the tune done recently I would be inclined to give the guys who did the tune a call. Tell them what happened. If you go to a BMW service centre they may decide to update your DME to the latest factory software and that will overwrite your tune. That would be a nuisance !!!!! 

Cheers... 

So, if I remember correctly, the mechanic who did my tune & service said he wasn't sure what caused the drivetrain alert, but advised me to bring the car in if the same thing happened again because I could not replicate the problem. 

Today, this happened (photo). A quick look at various forums revealed no solution.

Then, later in the day, this happened (video). Looks like a fuel pump issue?

*Sigh*...... either I bought a lemon or have the worst @$%*^&! luck.....

PXL_20220508_045520812.jpg

Firstly you need to get the car scanned for fault codes. There is no way of knowing what is wrong with the car without fault codes. If you post the codes here somebody may be able to help.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice :) 

My "BMW newbie" brain forgot to check the fault code. I was told today that the fuel pump had to be replaced, and I will find out the fault code before I post here next time.  Thank goodness for mechanical insurance I guess.

• Like 1