Sign in to follow this  
E28E30

2006 MINI JCW GP1

@E28E30 What a slick looking machine! 

Best of luck with the sale! 

Love the Gp mini.  Is it really stiff as people make it out to be?

24 minutes ago, Contrails said:

Love the Gp mini.  Is it really stiff as people make it out to be?

Generally no.  As in ride you mean?  They’re not worse, much, than a Cooper S or normal JCW which means you don’t take bumps or kerbs lightly but in return you get go kart flickability.

In this one’s case, it is set up at the moment to be firm and low which means the ride is “taught and unforgiving” euphemistically.  It can be adjusted but it’s best to assume it is firm.

Edited by E28E30
  • Like 1

Would love to go for a ride in one.  These are selling for $50k+ across the pond.

You’re welcome to drive it if you’re down this way anytime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, E28E30 said:

Aww thanks Kees @Kees… do you a deal! :)

I can only dream! I actually looked at a rough high ks one in 2019 I think it was, and stupidly decided against buying it. Had been used for track days so was a bit rough around the edges and I think it had 190,000km or more, but this was reflected in its price. Only having 2 seats and its overall condition made me decide to keep my 207 GTI which I still have (it has the famously unreliable co-BMW developed 1.6THP engine found in R56 Cooper S and R56 JCW cars). 

I knew they would shoot up in value, such awesome cars. I guess I have "not-the-buyer" remorse! Ugh should have bought one. 

I had an R56 JCW with that engine: Went well and had no trouble but first owner had already had it decoked before 40kms.  Traded it for an F20 116i 🤔.

It might be a case of “never meet your heroes”.  Cars are a funny drug.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

I had an R56 JCW with that engine: Went well and had no trouble but first owner had already had it decoked before 40kms.  Traded it for an F20 116i 🤔.

It might be a case of “never meet your heroes”.  Cars are a funny drug.

Interesting, I've had my 207 GTI since the start of 2018 with 65,000km and so far its had; cracked turbo intake pipe, leaking oil cooler, faulty turbo solenoid (forced the car into limp mode as it was only making about 40% boost), faulty thermostat (was stuck open), faulty fan resistor and one time after work it decided to become a 3-cylinder when one of the coils refused to work. Of course I waited 5 hours for a tow in the cold and got home at about 3AM. Car was fine the next day naturally. Replaced all the plugs and coils as a precaution, and have two spare coils in the boot, along with oil. 

BUT, 

As you said, cars are a drug and I still like the thing despite it being a frequent headache. Open the door and you are greeted by some big leather and alcantara bucket seats, its got old school pop out rear windows, its a nippy 5 speed manual, and its very stiffly sprung so it handles really nice on a backroad. 

JCW would be on another level of amazing though! Especially with that super charger whine! 

E487A16D-F422-48CC-830E-2B48B5D92044.jpeg

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

Edited by Kees

That’s a fairly short list of European car love bites hehe!  Keeping you keen by keeping things interesting :)  is a very tidy GTI Kees, looks nice and they are rare here in NZ.

You can get the whine and similar fun from a Cooper S at 1/3 price of a GP, reduction pulley and a few tweaks.  And have a back seat.  Am not sure which would be less reliable out of that, a GP or your Pug!  If you’re in Wellington anytime you’re welcome to pop it around some corners, if I still have it.  

• Like 1

Hang on is that a 991 in your driveway?! Jealous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E28E30 said:

That’s a fairly short list of European car love bites hehe!  Keeping you keen by keeping things interesting :)  is a very tidy GTI Kees, looks nice and they are rare here in NZ.

You can get the whine and similar fun from a Cooper S at 1/3 price of a GP, reduction pulley and a few tweaks.  And have a back seat.  Am not sure which would be less reliable out of that, a GP or your Pug!

Yeah very true, for over 4 years and 50,000km she's done alright, especially since it does get frequent workouts on back roads. Most other 207 GTIs I've seen so far (which is only a handful because they are quite rare) have all been quite a bit more worse for wear than my one. Have been meaning to give it a tidy up as with a wheel refurbishment and a couple small carpark dents removed it would be close to mint as far as daily drivers go. Is a car I've told myself I will try keep forever, although I've been increasingly tempted by RS Meganes of late. Maybe I just need to have two Frenchies in the fleet?

R53 Cooper S is a good shout, will keep my eye out for one as for the right price I can see myself scooping one up for a bit of fun and maybe a budget GP inspired build?! 

1 hour ago, E28E30 said:

If you’re in Wellington anytime you’re welcome to pop it around some corners, if I still have it.

Haha your adding to the temptation of buying another sight unseen machine from down there 🤣 (thats where I got my manual W8 from)

1 hour ago, E28E30 said:

Hang on is that a 991 in your driveway?! Jealous

Not quite a 991, only a 997.2 Carrera S. Is a 6 speed manual and the last generation with hydraulic steering though and it is also unfortunately not mine :( 

It's my mother's former daily driver, now a weekend toy as she daily drives a Smart Fortwo! 

The neighbour's roll their eyes with the plethora of unique and strange vehicles that frequent the house 🤣

8E220C96-6897-4F46-AD26-3E603967B518.thumb.jpeg.ea047d4b494aae1ba9cbaacc2646e5d5.jpeg

978E6BA3-9518-4A58-9A50-113E1EE95094.thumb.jpeg.df7141db682919ea2ecc808b526fc0e6.jpeg

• Like 5

@Kees ONLY a 997.2… haha that’s an amazing car.  My Mum drives a Golf and I was happy with that until now :)

I know a guy selling a 2015 RS265 Megane in P North, well I know of him as he offered me that as a trade on the GP.   See the comments.   He might be willing to sell it your way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E28E30 said:

@Kees ONLY a 997.2… haha that’s an amazing car.  My Mum drives a Golf and I was happy with that until now :)

I know a guy selling a 2015 RS265 Megane in P North, well I know of him as he offered me that as a trade on the GP.   See the comments.   He might be willing to sell it your way.

Just had a read of the comments, sounds like he has a nice bit of kit. Liquid yellow (my favourite for Meganes), the Recaros too and its a 265. Would be quite the weapon. 

However I think I'll be sticking with the 207 as the primary daily for now, have a few things coming up that require me to be boring and responsible with money over the next few months unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 1:25 AM, Kees said:

Not quite a 991, only a 997.2 Carrera S. Is a 6 speed manual and the last generation with hydraulic steering though and it is also unfortunately not mine :( 

It's my mother's former daily driver, now a weekend toy as she daily drives a Smart Fortwo! 

The neighbour's roll their eyes with the plethora of unique and strange vehicles that frequent the house 🤣

8E220C96-6897-4F46-AD26-3E603967B518.thumb.jpeg.ea047d4b494aae1ba9cbaacc2646e5d5.jpeg

978E6BA3-9518-4A58-9A50-113E1EE95094.thumb.jpeg.df7141db682919ea2ecc808b526fc0e6.jpeg

Please let me know if ever she decides to sell and upgrade. Thanks 

On 5/3/2022 at 1:25 AM, Kees said:

The 997 is the Goldilocks of the modern 911’s and is such an epic car to drive especially in rear wheel drive. I found using it daily so easy to live with. Loving it in red. 
The 991 became that bit bigger and styling a little bloated. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, al lowe said:

Please let me know if ever she decides to sell and upgrade. Thanks 

Will do, my father is really wanting to import a 997.2 Turbo 6MT from the UK for my mother but is waiting for one that isn't black/white/silver (ideally guards red but beggars can't be choosers as a manual 997.2 Turbo is extremely rare lol) so if he finds one, that C2S will definitely be going up for sale and in need of a new home! 

7 hours ago, Kees said:

Will do, my father is really wanting to import a 997.2 Turbo 6MT from the UK for my mother but is waiting for one that isn't black/white/silver (ideally guards red but beggars can't be choosers as a manual 997.2 Turbo is extremely rare lol) so if he finds one, that C2S will definitely be going up for sale and in need of a new home! 

Put me second in line! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kees said:

Great thanks, I have a 997.2 GTS and have just recently imported a 996 Turbo S from the UK…. Al 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, al lowe said:

Great thanks, I have a 997.2 GTS and have just recently imported a 996 Turbo S from the UK…. Al 

Wow thats a really cool pair! 996 Turbo S must be a wicked car. 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:56 AM, E28E30 said:

Price reduced 

$23,500 take it away for Forum members or consider swaps/deals with NZ new recent German cars 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mini/auction-3748681448.htm

Price updated for Forum members