Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

E46 330 ci/i

Hey,

just checking in here as I’m in the market for a 330i or ci. Not looking for a pristine example (also not looking for a rot box), but something pretty clean as I’m sure it will turn into a project of some kind. 

Happy to have something that “needs a few things sorting” to make it decent, and have a tinker around. 

Thanks. 

I have found an E46 I really like down on the South Island and I’m heading dow there next weekend to have a look/pick up the car. 
it’s a 2002 330i. 

Any things I need to look out for? Any major faults?

The guy who currently owns the car is a mechanic at a euro shop and he said there’s no issues with the car at all. 

Oil leaks, power steering leaks, abs/dsc ecu.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

I have found an E46 I really like down on the South Island and I’m heading dow there next weekend to have a look/pick up the car. 
it’s a 2002 330i. 

Any things I need to look out for? Any major faults?

The guy who currently owns the car is a mechanic at a euro shop and he said there’s no issues with the car at all. 

Very unlikely to not have any issues (unless someone has spent lots and lots of money on it in). 

Id say oil leaks and vacuum leaks are most common issue, but its a 20 year old car so lots of parts may not have failed outright but are very tried if they haven't been replaced at some point - Cooling system(thermostats have usually soft failed and you can use OBD to check operating temp), pcv system (vacuum leaks and added oil consumption), intake boots\hoses cracking, worn engine\gearbox mounts, suspension bushings, struts\shocks\mounts\bump stops(very common), DISA valve (vacuum leak or rattling), vanos seals, drivebelt pulleys, brake rotors etc etc. Basically everything at this point in time but depends on what sort of mechanical standard\reliability you are wanting from the car.

You'd want to check all the fluid and filter conditions at the bare min to give you an idea if its been somewhat looked after. These transmissions also have torque convertor faults so ideally it would have had a transmission fluid and filter change at some point. If not you'd want to do one asap if buying it.

You can check the subframe if you really want to. You can get your head under the L\R, clean up and check the crease without jacking the car up iirc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaTYBaMpUtE

Just my experience . . we bought an '01 for $3k with 213000km. Came with $7k of receipts including rebuilt transmission and front lower arms and all 4 shocks had been replaced with Bilsteins.

I replaced the ENTIRE cooling system, I mean everything including radiator, water pump and the 2 plastic pipes under the inlet manifold. Definitely check where those plastic pipes insert into the head under the intake cam sensor and vanos solenoid.

Replaced entire PCV system. Replaced noisy tensioner pulleys on serpentine belt. Replaced driveshaft guibo. Replaced both rear wheel bearings (notoriously difficult). Replaced all 4 brake rotors and pads.

Admittedly there was a lot I didn't need to do but I don't want to look at it again for another 100,00km as its the daily driver/ sacrificial car. Still to do: noisy FR wheel bearing, purple tag steering rack to install, noisy alternator bearings and noisy aircon clutch bearing before I will consider it fully mechanically sorted.

Oh yeah, as mentioned above, if its an auto, check the torque converter locks up. Should be around 2000 - 2100 rpm at 100km/h. Codes may show on a scan but not bring up a fault light. Also usual oil leaks - oil filter housing gasket and rocker cover - not too bad to do - oil pan gasket - involves lowering front subframe.

I used INPA to scan the car with the laptop. I like to read the codes but also looking at the adaptations can highlight something deteriorating.

All in all, be very hard to find a perfect one - just some things are deal breakers.

Edited by BlackAngel

So I ended up picking up a completely different car as the one I viewed was rough. Couple of oil leaks, the roof had been painted Matt black. Straight pipes exhaust etc etc. 

I ended up getting a 2004 325i in Hellrot Red with only 111kms. Full service history until the guy who I got it from, who did all the services himself. A stack of receipts and old WOF’s. 
The car is super clean as it had only done 8000kms in the last 5 years he has owned it. Full new Pcv system, cooling system and a few other bits and bobs.  
I have since I picked it up converted it back to stock oem rear taillights (had some sort of AliExpress looking LED lights) removed the hideous AliExpress angel eys which were wired to constant and just a good clean to get ride of the moss on the exterior. 
oh and I’ve removed the m-sport colours from the front grille. 
Full black leather m-Sport interior is immaculate, no wear or tears on the leather or dash. 
it does have a faded rear shelf which has gone a kinda blue colour and will need to be dyed if it can come out? 
18” oem wheels need a refurb and new tyres all round and this should be mint. 

What do you think?

Im still undecided on the front lip! It’s a genuine BMW full carbon fibre, but I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Also, going to swap the LED side indicators back to OEM. 

8527E6D1-951E-441F-AAB9-7D9664700C50.jpeg

111E2FDB-E3AA-4D67-9AD3-08C6862460E6.jpeg

64F7E088-9E31-4ACD-9D51-ECD4692E3A51.jpeg

14903E67-0F14-4445-9D20-D22101DF9A6D.jpeg

E441FE77-F32B-4774-97AF-1959E97AD1F3.jpeg

8FB16A7F-D404-4C30-878A-01AE4D639A6E.jpeg

AD915D5F-4808-44BD-A105-CC4FD194E91D.jpeg

• Like 2

looks great! and that wagon looks awesome too, I would probably get rid of the lip as if everything else is OEM/stock it looks a bit out of place

20 hours ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

I have since I picked it up converted it back to stock oem rear taillights (had some sort of AliExpress looking LED lights) removed the hideous AliExpress angel eys which were wired to constant and just a good clean to get ride of the moss on the exterior. 
oh and I’ve removed the m-sport colours from the front grille. 
Full black leather m-Sport interior is immaculate, no wear or tears on the leather or dash. 
it does have a faded rear shelf which has gone a kinda blue colour and will need to be dyed if it can come out? 
18” oem wheels need a refurb and new tyres all round and this should be mint. 

What do you think?

Im still undecided on the front lip! It’s a genuine BMW full carbon fibre, but I don’t know 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Also, going to swap the LED side indicators back to OEM. 

8527E6D1-951E-441F-AAB9-7D9664700C50.jpeg

This'll be great once the best of Aliexpress has been removed! (would take front lip off too) - Probably be able to flog it all on FB marketplace

Car looks great - very much USDM ' ZHP' vibes, especially in Imola.

Just did my E30 parcel tray with this - worked well - just use very light coats and then brush in with a soft bristle brush and repeat until you have good coverage and penetration - just be careful not to spray on heavy as it will saturate and 'clog' the fibers if used aggressively.

Its a nice dark grey. I'll use it for my carpet too.

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/dupli-color-dupli-color-vinyl-and-fabric-paint-aerosol-paint-charcoal-grey---311g/324092.html

I used 1 and a bit cans but you could probably get away with one can if you stick to light coats (mine was mega faded).

Edited by Sammo

On 6/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Sammo said:

Car looks great - very much USDM ' ZHP' vibes, especially in Imola.

Just did my E30 parcel tray with this - worked well - just use very light coats and then brush in with a soft bristle brush and repeat until you have good coverage and penetration - just be careful not to spray on heavy as it will saturate and 'clog' the fibers if used aggressively.

Its a nice dark grey. I'll use it for my carpet too.

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/dupli-color-dupli-color-vinyl-and-fabric-paint-aerosol-paint-charcoal-grey---311g/324092.html

I used 1 and a bit cans but you could probably get away with one can if you stick to light coats (mine was mega faded).

The colour is Hellrot Red, looks quite red in pictures, but has somewhat of a pink tinge to it. 

I used the same stuff but the matt black. Got it done today and gave the leather a good clean while I had most of it out  not even one clip gave out and managed to reuse all oem clips which is a first for me  

2E775747-1664-4ECA-BDA9-1E73D3BA5EC3.jpeg

3C6336F5-6C35-4238-BFA0-DDBA21A47166.jpeg

Edited by SmackJackTheCrackerMan
Spelling
  • Like 4

I also gave the under car a good clean today too. 
Quite impressed with the quality of this car. Everything came out like new with very little effort. 

53256680-267F-4DA2-A28C-494F24171C03.jpeg

682DBBFD-8C89-46DC-8542-85A31580AFDB.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Sammo said:

penetration

Also, that parcel tray looks mint!! Pretty sure I'll be doing the same once the car is finally back in sunlight and I can see it properly. To be fair I thought it maybe was supposed to be blue 😅

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

I also gave the under car a good clean today too. 
Quite impressed with the quality of this car. Everything came out like new with very little effort. 

53256680-267F-4DA2-A28C-494F24171C03.jpeg

682DBBFD-8C89-46DC-8542-85A31580AFDB.jpeg

Are you missing all the fender liners or just took them off for cleaning? 

Mines the same. The small one pictured is all you get in the rear from factory id say. Cost cutting\weight saving.

3 hours ago, Vass said:

Are you missing all the fender liners or just took them off for cleaning? 

I don’t believe there are any, certainly not in the rear. No mounting points either. 

Yeah my bad. All of my e46's have been black so it all just blends together, somehow somehow never noticed that it's just bare shell there.

Good effort that, cleaned up really well, must have been a hell of a scrub with years worth of road grime ey.