Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E55 AMG

My old man recently passed away.  He has owned this E55 since near new.  Previous owner was a friend of his.
I decided I would buy it from the estate pending a go over.

He always loved this car and we have spent many hours towing around both my previous E30 series car and the current dormant E34 race car over the years.

I enjoyed driving it so I thought I would keep it in service.  Probably not the smartest move with the price of petrol about to drive the cost of living to near Switzerland levels.

So off on my Mercedes journey I go.

20220510_151347.jpg

• Like 15

Nice. Ive come very close to buying one of few times. The fuel cost didn't put me off but the many big $ sudden failure items did though. 

They are a *beautiful* car. The M113 is as near a bulletproof engine as you'll find.

Sorry to hear about your dad man :(.  That car was probably why I bought mine as well.

Cool of you to keep it running in the family.  Tried to find a photo of it from our wedding but must have lost them :o.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

Sorry to hear about your dad man :(.  That car was probably why I bought mine as well.

Cool of you to keep it running in the family.  Tried to find a photo of it from our wedding but must have lost them :o.

I think I have one somewhere.  Will have a dig.  It actually did wedding duty a few times over the years.  It's seen some Blenheim sun since.  So time to refresh some bits and pieces.
Mechanically she is sound and still hauls ass.  I forgot about the active laser jammer in it.  I'm not sure it is still working though.

• Like 2

Have always liked these! beautiful inside and out and from what I researched a few years ago, very reliable in Facelift years.

My favorite super sedan, love them to bits. Sledge hammer in a velvet coat

Sorry to hear about your dad, that's super sad. 
The E55 will be a great memory of him though I'm sure. 
A mate has one as well, also with the supercharger reduction pully, a great car. 
When the intercooler pipe blew on my M135i he loaned me the E55 for a few weeks, and it's definitely a fun car to drive around as a daily. 

Seems I can get one of these for free.

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.nz/passengercars/being-an-owner/mercedes-me-adapter-campaign/stage.module.html

Wonder how much info it will give me.  Car is quite old so I don't think I will get much out of it.

Looks like it will tell me about any codes etc.

But mostly just a data collection tool.

Nice, have had my E55 almost 5 years now. I'd be hard pressed to part ways with it.

Is it just the picture or are the headlights cloudy?

Edited by han16

On 6/27/2022 at 10:19 AM, han16 said:

Nice, have had my E55 almost 5 years now. I'd be hard pressed to part ways with it.

Is it just the picture or are the headlights cloudy?

No they are.  Going to replace the lens'.  Surprisingly cheap.

will the lens be easy to separate from the rest of the light assembly? heard that they need to be "baked" to release the adhesive

On 6/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, lord_jagganath said:

will the lens be easy to separate from the rest of the light assembly? heard that they need to be "baked" to release the adhesive

Thats correct, you can do it via a cardboard box/heat gun/bbq thermometer. New headlights for a $100 and some effort

First bit of mechanical work to complete on the car this weekend.

Water pump, pulleys, drive belt and supercharger belt.  Looks quite simple.  Will give the car a clean under the bonnet too.  Need to find the correct coolant colour in Masterton somewhere.  Hard work when the only other cars here are Falcons and Commodores or Rangers.