Sign in to follow this  
leonf

How NOT to sell an m3.....

for sale,,,,,,,,,,,,,e46 m3 coupe.  Manual.

Has to be the worst ad I've ever seen on TradeMe.  Only asking $42k

Desciption says "2002 m3"    That's it!!

Good luck with that.  Pic below is the best of the 3 in the ad.   Looks a little 'used'.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3600457430?tm=email&et=45&mt=729E11BE-B8E5-4BCB-A7AF-EACDC8ACB2FD&bof=sDLNGmG3

1753740662.jpg

Great example of how to market a car. But equally would be satisfying for next owner to bring it back. Question is would be is it cosmetic bits or some serious work and costs.

but ffs … at least give it a clean.

Nice of them to leave the pack of smokes in the car so you know without looking at it in person how it's going to smell.

Edit: just noticed the tow hook still attached in the second photo - guess that's why carjam shows it hasn't done any km's in the last 3 years 😛

Edited by Karter16

1 minute ago, Cement said:

I like the ciggie packet on the floor in the back 😂

haha great minds...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cement said:

I like the ciggie packet on the floor in the back 😂

Also a ciggie packet in the passenger foot well, so you never have to reach too far to find them!

Not a bad price, considering that it's NZ new, and a Manual (albeit converted). But, yeah, looks like it needs a bit of a tidy up...

Poor M3, missing dash trim, rusty seat runners, incorrectly fitted door rubbers, front bumper, bonnet and arches look like they have seen better days........ sigh .... anyone test driving that beast needs to up to date with all their shots. Clearly owned by a "car guy", great documented service history. 

• Like 1

He could have supplied less information and want more money - exhibit a

“I am trying to sell the car dear, it’s on TradeMe and everything, just not getting any interest”..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Seems E46 M3s not selling easily at the moment. Been a few good examples of late just sitting.

32 minutes ago, Neal said:

Seems E46 M3s not selling easily at the moment. Been a few good examples of late just sitting.

I actually think it's more a case of not very much is selling at the moment in the weekend/special car sector.  That money being spent there is from the descretionary pile and people in general are reluctant to dig into that pile of cash as they are not sure if the current economic mess we are in (as a country) will impact them personally.  Best to hold and wait to see if the new mortgage rate is going to be just bad.............or catastrophic.

1 hour ago, leonf said:

I actually think it's more a case of not very much is selling at the moment in the weekend/special car sector.  That money being spent there is from the descretionary pile and people in general are reluctant to dig into that pile of cash as they are not sure if the current economic mess we are in (as a country) will impact them personally.  Best to hold and wait to see if the new mortgage rate is going to be just bad.............or catastrophic.

That sounds quite logical except... how do you explain the sale of 3x E39 M5s in the span of 2 weeks, about a month ago.  One for $40k, the others for more than $50k? Each of the sold in less than two days.  I know because I bought the 3rd one on the day it was advertised, after missing the 2nd one by waiting one day to call.  The 1st one ($40k) was sold by a foolish person who set the buy now $5k too low.  There is still one for sale now but, as with these M3s, it is overpriced ($65k, high kms). There have also been 2 or 3 Evo M3s sold in the last few months, though each of them took a few weeks to sell.  There is money out there, but it's not foolish.  The Evos took time to sell because they were price just above market value.  The only E46 M3s I've seen sold are top condition examples for acceptable prices ($55k).  

But, to support your argument a bit, E39s are 'old man' cars and they (we!) are perhaps more likely to have spare cash.  M3s are 'younger man' cars, perhaps less cash lying around?

2 minutes ago, topnotchrally said:

That sounds quite logical except... how do you explain the sale of 3x E39 M5s in the span of 2 weeks, about a month ago.  One for $40k, the others for more than $50k? Each of the sold in less than two days.  I know because I bought the 3rd one on the day it was advertised, after missing the 2nd one by waiting one day to call.  The 1st one ($40k) was sold by a foolish person who set the buy now $5k too low.  There is still one for sale now but, as with these M3s, it is overpriced ($65k, high kms). There have also been 2 or 3 Evo M3s sold in the last few months, though each of them took a few weeks to sell.  There is money out there, but it's not foolish.  The Evos took time to sell because they were price just above market value.  The only E46 M3s I've seen sold are top condition examples for acceptable prices ($55k).  

But, to support your argument a bit, E39s are 'old man' cars and they (we!) are perhaps more likely to have spare cash.  M3s are 'younger man' cars, perhaps less cash lying around?

I think that there has also been a distinct "drought" of e39 M5s coming onto the market for the last year or so (but a reasonable number of e46 M3s), and when those 3 M5s popped up recently, there was pent-up demand to see them snapped up quickly.

"But, to support your argument a bit, E39s are 'old man' cars and they (we!) are perhaps more likely to have spare cash.  M3s are 'younger man' cars, perhaps less cash lying around?"

'Old man' = (hopefully) mortgage free and probably with spare cash.  Younger man with a mortgage will find a bit of financial stress coming their way. There is certainly a division of wealth in NZ. The haves and the have-nots.  I don't know how to solve it, and I don't think it's a good thing for us as a country.  Happy, though, to be on the right side of it.

8 minutes ago, paulo said:

I think that there has also been a distinct "drought" of e39 M5s coming onto the market for the last year or so (but a reasonable number of e46 M3s), and when those 3 M5s popped up recently, there was pent-up demand to see them snapped up quickly.

That is an excellent point, I completely overlooked that.  

E46 M3's have far high production numbers than M5 too, so id expect the M5 to outpace the M3 value as time goes on.

9 hours ago, leonf said:

'Old man' = (hopefully) mortgage free and probably with spare cash.  Younger man with a mortgage will find a bit of financial stress coming their way. There is certainly a division of wealth in NZ. The haves and the have-nots.  I don't know how to solve it, and I don't think it's a good thing for us as a country.  Happy, though, to be on the right side of it.

It was no different when I left school in the 90s. Just as gen X we got on with it and are now many decades of working life later are starting to see some financial light at the end of the tunnel. (Still not enough for me to afford an M5 or M3 but)

• Like 1