Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

M4 CSL

1651kg = Light weight... 

• Like 2

A featherweight compared to the 2215kg Electric version!

Actually 1650kg isn’t bad by modern standards for a large coupe, a 1M is 1500kg.

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

A featherweight compared to the 2215kg Electric version!

Actually 1650kg isn’t bad by modern standards for a large coupe, a 1M is 1500kg.

Still can't get over how heavy "modern" cars are, I guess safety and luxury options rack up the mass. 

The Obligatory 'Ring lap, 

On 5/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, balancerider said:

I wonder if it can be had without the red accents...grille offends me less than it used to.

Very few options I believe, it’s a collector car, only 1000 being made so apart from press cars they will probably barely even see road use let alone track.

BMW have said it’s a road car first with some track optionality also. Great vid from Misha re talking on his thoughts,  pretty accurate IMHO

On 5/20/2022 at 3:38 PM, Twistee said:

Still can't get over how heavy "modern" cars are, I guess safety and luxury options rack up the mass. 

In the case of the CSL it’s the safety stuff that still weighs in, most of the luxury is gone - manual front seats, no rear seat, very few Driving Assistance features.

The best direct comparison the “cooking” M4 Comp RWD and the CSL is about 100kgs lighter. Which should be noticeable, same as having a reasonably large passenger jump in/out.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:33 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

In the case of the CSL it’s the safety stuff that still weighs in, most of the luxury is gone - manual front seats, no rear seat, very few Driving Assistance features.

The best direct comparison the “cooking” M4 Comp RWD and the CSL is about 100kgs lighter. Which should be noticeable, same as having a reasonably large passenger jump in/out.

Porsche 992 GT3 - 1418kg

This is not a CSL - I rest my case.

• Thanks 1

How much lighter was the E46 version than the standard M3..? 110kg seems to be the quoted figure. So that extra 10kg difference makes it a “L” ..? Ok, I look forward to the final kerb weights being confirmed.

6 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

How much lighter was the E46 version than the standard M3..? 110kg seems to be the quoted figure. So that extra 10kg difference makes it a “L” ..? Ok, I look forward to the final kerb weights being confirmed.

Common misconception

1570kg - 1385kg it’s 185kg weight savings.

The M4 CSL is merely one via marketing, I am more interested when the real deal CSL Hommage is released with all of its genuine weight saving strategy and manual gearbox and rear wheel drive. Just a shame it’s so limited and so expensive.

And when you have to resort to this type of marketing to sell a car a manufacturer really has lost the plot on what Motorsport stands for🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure what I just watched ... was it a well funded high school project ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M3_Power said:

And when you have to resort to this type of marketing to sell a car a manufacturer really has lost the plot on what Motorsport stands for

sh*t, yeah, no idea what that video is supposed to be all about, very cringeworthy.

Unfortunately, the proper “Motorsport” department is now only a small part of the overall M division. However, if things like that sell more M cars and keep the Motorsport side funded then I’ll take it as a necessary evil.

In terms of those weights, was that what you saw from putting yours over some scales?

On 5/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

sh*t, yeah, no idea what that video is supposed to be all about, very cringeworthy.

Unfortunately, the proper “Motorsport” department is now only a small part of the overall M division. However, if things like that sell more M cars and keep the Motorsport side funded then I’ll take it as a necessary evil.

In terms of those weights, was that what you saw from putting yours over some scales?

A no options CSL is 1385kg corner weight scale checked. Your aircon and radio versions are around 1405kg.

1570kg is actually the BMW quoted number and I have seen them on scales much heavier (over 1600kg)

The amount of bespoke items that went into making the e46 M3 CSL light is mind blowing and till this day we are still discovering items that weren’t listed correctly in the ETK or official documents that were implemented to shave a few kgs here and there.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1