Sign in to follow this  
Subway

e60 m54 exhaust manifold replacement

Got the dreaded cracked stainless exhaust manifold on my e60 530d. Picked up a cast steel replacement manifold + all the associated gaskets. A mate who has done his before was going to give me a hand but has had to leave the country for a while for work. I usually do my own servicing, have watched a couple of YT vids, but this is something i've never attempted before. I'm guessing most mechanics wouldn't appreciate being given parts to just fit? Based in the Waikato/Hamilton/Cambridge if anyone knows of a decent mechanic (called up Hillcrest Auto Services who never got back to me) or if anyone is keen to make some $$$ by watching me and telling me if im going to royally fck something up.

Edited by Subway

What route of removal were you thinking of taking?

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

What route of removal were you thinking of taking?

From the top, have got a replacement valve cover gasket but knowing my luck i'll get stuck injectors

Right. I think id rather take the exhaust and turbo off, less chance of damaging anything or running into issues, unless you are replacing other stuff while you are there. I can give you hand if you want. 

21 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Right. I think id rather take the exhaust and turbo off, less chance of damaging anything or running into issues, unless you are replacing other stuff while you are there. I can give you hand if you want. 

I'm definitely not keen to take the intake manifold off if it isn't necessary. Have seen another video that suggests taking out the turbo piping to get to the manifold instead as well. That would be great if you could give me a hand, im in Cambridge or I could come to you. Would be happy to compensate you for your time as well. 

Yeah as you got some basic tools, jack and axles stand etc its probably better to do it at your residence. Im <10min to Cambridge. Send me a PM and can sort it out.

Hey mate, just flicked you $150 to say thanks.

I've asked my wife to have a look she can't find the ratchet, however i'll have another look when I get home. 

Are you able to let me know how much a new one is and i'll transfer you for it?