Sign in to follow this  
smiddy

N54 alternator voltage regulator failure

You guys out there with 60kms + N54 powered cars, beware. Check your vehicle charging rate, if its not just over 14V its very likely your alternator voltage regulator is on the way out.

Happened to me two weeks ago, not nice, no limp mode here, this is a tow, every fault and warning flashes, locks in park, wipers start and won't stop, no water pump.

Voltage regulator fails and alternator which is 180A on these motors, overcharges, sometimes 17+V, the potencial, ( and it does) to fry components is huge.

My car is a wagon, i could smell the gas emitting from battery, from current overload, can short/ ruin batteries in minutes!

The Alternators themselves are robust, 200kms+ is not uncommon, but the regulator is a wear part as brushes contact is made on internal bush, they wear and lose contact, hence failure.

If there ever was a true preventitive maintainance fix, easy to install, (40 min) and cheap, (US$45.00) this is it!

Some ugly stories on US forums, bricked ECUs, DMEs, clusters, water pumps, trans TCUs, fuse banks...... etc.

I replaced battery, 950AH, 830CCA unit, coded, all good, with faults cleared.

20220528_111034.jpg

20220528_111222.jpg

20220528_111034.jpg

20220528_111222.jpg

Had the same on my M5.  Replacing the regulator on those is done blind by feel as the alternator is down the bottom of the engine and the regular is on top of the alternator..

Seems to be a common theme on the S85.