Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

2nd gen X3

I've tried the search but haven't come up with much; well, anything.

I'm going to sell the awesome little A250 Sport and get something that's easier for me to get into, and more so to get out of when I'm fatigued/sore from chemo which is about a third of the time... anyway, I don't want/need something big (smallish parking spot and it's almost always only one or two people in it) and I don't necessarily need an SUV/SAV for any particular reason other than something higher is much easier for me to live with. Took the Merc for a service a couple weeks back and the loaner was a Rangie Sport - and it was a breeze (and no, I'd never consider buying one - haha).

So thinking about smaller SUV's doesn't bring up a whole lot - I could sell the Merc and get a lifted version of the same car that costs more (GLA250) but that seems kinda nonsensical and a bit too obvious. Ideally I'd like to go back to six cylinders - my mileage isn't huge and something that gives a bit of fizz is the preference.

So I've kinda landed on a 2nd gen X3 - probably a 35i... doesn't have to be X drive though the vast majority are. They seem to be an M135i with less performance (more weight) and shitter dynamics (more weight) but I won't exactly be driving it on the limit so neither a major issues for me. Budget is pretty much what I sell the Merc for and possibly my 2018 Vespa Sprint 150 too (if anyone is interested in either hit me up)... so low-mid 20's, the lesser the better really but I wouldn't consider a first gen X3 because oink.

If anyone has any real-world experience of them I'd appreciate any pros/cons... whether they'll relate to me and how I'll use it or not. Open to other suggestions too (and yes, ML63's are cheap and high on fizz and depreciation but I don't need something that big lol).

Cheers 👍

Had an F25 X3 35i xDrive, absolutely loved it. As you said very similar to the M135i since same N55. Performance is amazing despite the weight. The one I drove for a few months was not M Sport so suspension/body roll was the biggest letdown in corners but for normal daily use it was comfortable and very adequate. 

You will enjoy it if you liked the m135. 

• Like 1

Thanks Kyu, sounds positive.

There's one local to me so I might try and have a look at it this week... wrong spec tho - no sunroof. It's also listed as a 2WD which seems strange for a 35i, all the others seem to be Xdrive.

Didn’t Martin go through this? Get a 30d, use less fuel, more than quick enough and great mid range shove. Do it now and load up on cheap RUCs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Didn’t Martin go through this? Get a 30d, use less fuel, more than quick enough and great mid range shove. Do it now and load up on cheap RUCs.

I do mostly short short/local trips... not a lot of decent hot running aside from a trip over to Martinborough every month or two. I've always thought that'd be bad for an oil-burner?

Possibly, I just use it as an excuse to go to another cheaper supermarket down the motorway. What is short?

Mine gets longer (2hr +) journeys about every 6 weeks except for lockdown, and has been fine.

39 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

What is short?

Mostly 5-10 mins... though I do usually take the scenic route so it at least gets up to temp. Every few weeks a trip into Newtown (from Lower Hutt) for chemo... and aside from that the occasional trip to Martinborough.

I've always assumed diesels are great for long hot running but less great for the kinds stuff I do. I've nothing against diesels at all but have never really thought of them as the right option (for me).

Diesels need long hot runs to clean out the Diesel particulate filter. Too many short trips will cause it to block up $$$

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Thanks Kyu, sounds positive.

There's one local to me so I might try and have a look at it this week... wrong spec tho - no sunroof. It's also listed as a 2WD which seems strange for a 35i, all the others seem to be Xdrive.

They're all Xdrive @SmithyInWelly - assuming you're looking at the white one from Turners? N55 is a nice engine and probably better for short trips than the N57 diesel

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, balancerider said:

They're all Xdrive @SmithyInWelly - assuming you're looking at the white one from Turners? N55 is a nice engine and probably better for short trips than the N57 diesel

Yeah that's what I thought... they've actively stated 2WD multiple times. Muppets.

honestly, stick with the 35i. Its a hoot.

sure, the 30d is faster, better on fuel, lasts longer per tank, cheaper, and arguably better, but its also usually 50% more expensive and pretty hard to find one. If anything you can consider the 20d but I would take a 35i over the 20d personally.

If I was to spend this kind of money on car again in the future it would be the facelift X3 or X4 in 35i. I think they are fantastic mid sized SUV's that does everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Diesels need long hot runs to clean out the Diesel particulate filter. Too many short trips will cause it to block up $$$

My last 2 Toyota Hiace diesels did 450km of highway running every day.  Changed the oil / filter once a month and the belts about every 250,000 (Toyota advise 150k.  Don't believe them).    Did 650km in the first one and almost 800km in the second (both written off by 1-stray cows, and 2-drunk driver) without any clogging at all of the DPF (diesel particulate filter).  Faultless motoring.  Annoyed I never got to 1million mark in either.

3 hours ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Mostly 5-10 mins... though I do usually take the scenic route so it at least gets up to temp. Every few weeks a trip into Newtown (from Lower Hutt) for chemo... and aside from that the occasional trip to Martinborough.

I've always assumed diesels are great for long hot running but less great for the kinds stuff I do. I've nothing against diesels at all but have never really thought of them as the right option (for me).

Diesels take at least twice as long to get to temp - kind of shocked whenever I drive my 320d.

1000km a tank is nice though.

Edited by Sammo

27 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Diesels take at least twice as long to get to temp - kind of shocked whenever I drive my 320d.

You think 320d is bad...try 50% bigger diesel engine in Wellington! 20k to get to full operating temp (with hills)

• Like 1

Try a CX5 2.2D ( KF ) . Easier to get in an out of than a f25.  ( we grabbed 80 y/0 plus parents to compare )

More torque than the 35i engine and 6.7 L/100 km average so 700 km between fills 150 kg lighter. 

Wife brought our one as colour was important rather than the 50 shades of grey f25s that are available. Was also easier for here as she felt she didn’t have to climb up as with F25

It’s  worked out be a great SUV and ideal for all of our hospital visits between myself , mother and farher inlaw. 

Not a euro but actually a nice drive with plenty of torque. 

Good luck with your chemo. Hope it goes well

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Neal said:

Try a CX5 2.2D ( KF ) . Easier to get in an out of than a f25.  ( we grabbed 80 y/0 plus parents to compare )

Cheers Neal - a CX5 was the other thing on my radar (funnily enough) though had thought the 2.5 rather than a diesel as per above.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:21 PM, Neal said:

After driving a brand new Ionic 5 for a few days, this is what hit me the most. I assume the CX5 feels similar. Nice cars, but they just feel cheap compared to even a ~9 year old X3. 

Personally I'd go for an older euro. 

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Cx5 is probably a wee bit above the ionic in general quality, fit and finish 

The diesel can suffer from premature DPF blockage, and it will destroy the engine. Which i guess happens with all the modern rubbish these days

I do!  Thanks for the shout @Young Thrash Driver, I'll catch up on the thread now 😊

Yep, I've got a F25 X3 30D Msport.  Very impressed with it.   Easy to drive, handles pretty well - not at e60 545i levels, but grippy and far less roll and compromised handling than you'd expect. The torque is addictive.  My first Diesel, I'm really enjoying it.  I aim for a good run every month to keep the DPF clear.  

You can find them for around $25-35k for pre-LCI versions.  The Msport is better-spec'd; most NZ new don't appear to have had the msport springs and dampers, which is apparently a good thing as it's well-balanced without.  The suspension works well with RFTs.  The X-drive gives it a certain advantage in the tight and twisty stuff, I'm surprised at how much I like it.

Put a search out on the Tard, there's usually one coming to market every week.  I think the 35i would be fun too.

EDIT:  Oh, you become surprised to learn it's two tonnes... it doesn't feel like it, though if you do short running up and down hills it does slurp a bit more than you'd expect.  Factor in the weight, and it all makes sense.  Put it on a trip and it's pretty parsimonious.  

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

Cheers for the feedback everyone... going to check out a 3.0 X1 in Nelson over the weekend (for comparisons sake) and will have a look at the 35i at Turners next week probably... I don't think there's much upside (for me) in going diesel; I simply won't do the mileage.

Also need to do something about shifting my A250 and my Vespa too - looking at Tard Me it doesn't seem there's much turnover happening in the used market at the moment. 

On 5/30/2022 at 12:10 PM, SmithyInWelly said:

Our experience of owning an F10 535D and E90 320D for the last couple of years back the theory around diesels.

The E90 in msport and manual is a hoot to drive. One of my favourite cars ever. It's approaching 300k kms but you wouldn't know it. It was checked for carbon before Christmas and it's clean as a whistle which is no surprise as it's done two hour round trips, at 100kph, for 6 days a week over the last three years.

The F10 is a luxo barge but is properly quick with 600Nm. It does 20 minutes to work and back, four days a week at 50kph and it's driven like a Granny. It's at 175k and has just thrown codes to say it's clogged so will be taken apart next week.

The cost savings when doing distance are great, the torque is intoxicating at all speeds, but if you don't need either I'm not sure I'd recommend diesel if you aren't regularly going for a long drive.

We'll likely sell both diesels very soon and go EV for the daily work journey.

Echoing @Olaf ‘s comments. Loving the F25 30d. We average 8.6l/100km and a tank lasts about 2-2.5 weeks. Ours is msport nz-new but with standard suspension. It is a tad harsh over sharp bumps with the RFT’s but it’s not a deal breaker. The 20d is a little lack lustre, you’d struggle overtaking up a hill easily, which is my benchmark for performance. The 35i is nice but I could see us having to fill up once a week. Compared to the 30d the 35i is quicker from 100km/h onwards when i was test driving.

975DC2AB-7EF4-44C1-8408-BAC88B4DA0ED.jpegADCD8103-4AFD-4E77-9546-04531EE12FA4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, BreakMyWindow said:

Echoing @Olaf ‘s comments. Loving the F25 30d.

Black looks great. Have a white twin. Dope cars. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 8.10.55 PM.png

Edited by m325i
  • Like 2