Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Anyone here use High-beam Assist?

Hi guys,

I’m doing a bit of between city commuting at the moment. First time in 4 years of owning the car I’ve had the chance to use the auto dipping feature on the lights. 

It appears to work, the lights swivel and when a car approaches they do lower in power and/or swivel to the side of the road. I can see them power up again when the traffic clears.

Seems to work really well… except a number of vehicles flash their lights at me, indicating it’s too bright for them. Anyone else have this? I know it’s dipping down but perhaps it appears to oncoming drivers to be something in between full power and what a typical low-beam looks like? 

Anyone else noticed this? Am I using the system wrong? 

Edited by NZ BMW

Use it a lot and it works well. Getting flashed (!!!) indicates imperfect alignment. I also had this issue early on in my ownership, and I got the dealer to align and calibrate the headlights for me. SInce then, no flashing! I'm pretty sure there are guides to do the alignment yourself if you want to, but you need a reasonably long space which you can make dark.

Edited by TonyT
  • Like 1

Use it on the open road, it acts faster than I can and I never get flashed. Only thing is watching it is fascinating….

Edit for Jon, mine are adaptive LEDs.

Edited by Palazzo
  • Like 1

I think you are referring to the Adaptive Lights if it is swivelling and moving the lit area, much more advanced than high-beam assist which is just auto dipping of high beam.

With hi-beam assist it works pretty quickly 9 times out of 10, with the 10th time being cars coming from around a corner or bend in the road then it takes time to react. This can result in being flashed.

Never had a problem with the Adaptive Lights - either following someone else or on-coming vehicles. 

Are your lights Xenon’s or LEDs or even Laserlights? Had a lot of people flash me when in an X3/X5/X7 with LEDs on low beam, as they are WAAAY brighter than most other lights and high up. I just flash them back to show that I was not on high beam…

Pretty sure I have LED lights. I have both adaptive (swivel) and auto dip in the car (high/low beam auto). It’s probably about 1/10 cars if that who flash. 

I’ll look at getting them aligned next service, although this should be check as part of WOF? That being said, if I manipulate the lights manually (with the lever, old school style) no one flashes me. 

Edited by NZ BMW