Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

End Of An Era For BMW Group NZ

After a number of decades for the company, and over a single decade for me personally, today is the last day for BMW Group NZ operating out of the “BMW building” in Pacific Rise, Mount Wellington.
From next week BMW NZ HQ will be out of smart new offices in the Mercury Building in Newmarket.

Mixed feelings moving out of such an iconic building, synonymous with BMW, but onwards and upwards into the next phase.BDEA6C6B-B767-4204-B5F8-DAC84532D600.jpegD844F28F-CFFE-47E6-BE87-4255B8249F38.jpegBBF57D94-A5B8-4F27-84E4-57F66DCA940B.jpeg06544412-F230-4987-AB13-5FDD8817BDA2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

No space for lifts or workshop in the Mercury building, what were they used for in Mount Wellington? Do you have any external branding rights or will it be a low key HQ?

I was invited to tour the Mount Wellington building in the very late 80's or very early 90's, just approaching the crescent carpark with all the BMW's reversed in was cool.

Sushi and coffee is good downstairs at Mercury, inflation has hit the coffee, but not the sushi yet.

• Like 1

The workshops’ main functions were for training of technicians and service staff, plus the preparation and maintenance of the head office fleet of vehicles. Thanks There was also a bit of “homework” done after hours, but H&S put a stop to that..

The circle car park with the blue and white fountain was a great feature, displaying the vehicles wonderfully. 
Not sure about the naming rights sorry, but will find out soon enough. Have heard lots about the coffee, but being a Pom I prefer a cup of tea and am too tight to pay when there’s a perfectly good coffee machine 💰!!

• Like 1

Definitely the end of an era JT! 

Many a training, model launch, OOT delivery conducted there!

Bit sad, but as you say time to move on.

• Thanks 1

Funny, drove past a few weeks ago and thought to myself "man BMW have been there a long time!"

• Like 1

I think the biggest loss here is your time.  Driving to New Market from SE Auckland.  Ouch.

• Like 1

It’s not been too bad so far, between half hour and 45 mins each way. Plus it’s hybrid working now so only have to be in the office two days a week.

Luckily we also have designated parking spaces provided both in the building and at the Wilson’s just up the street. Without that it would be a massive ball ache.

Once I am more familiar with the route it will be back to making calls from the car as well which makes better use of the time - multi-tasking!!