Sign in to follow this  
Harper

Anyone know if I need a tow hook front and rear for taupo track day?

Only have one tow hook for the m3, anyone know if I need to have two for the track day? The tow hook I have can either screw in the front or rear, would be annoying if I get turned away for not having both at once.

From the Motorsport Manual...

Appendix Two – Schedule A   Driver and Vehicle Safety

Article 5   Safety Non Critical Items
5.15  Towing Eyes: Purpose Built and Dedicated Vehicles (except for single seaters) shall be equipped
with front and rear towing-eyes as follows: (specs for tow eyes omitted) 

From this it would appear that a standard stock every day road car is not required to have tow eyes. However, to be safe you would need to check the regs for the event and if necessary, confirm with an event organiser or scrutineer. For what it is worth, I actually got an extra OEM BMW tow eye and used one front and back. As if you put your car in a ditch you can't always choose if it goes in front first or back first, and having somewhere obvious to attach a rope might save some damage. 

Incidentally, if towing eyes are required, to meet Motorsport NZ regulations they should have a minimum internal hole diameter of 40mm to be legal. This means that the OEM BMW toolkit screw-in tow eyes are not legal. So basically you would just be providing them voluntarily :)

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
  • Like 1

Called them and they confirmed that a single tow hook on the front is sufficient thankfully