Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Thinking about a swap - convince me or otherwise...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/335i/listing/3580759660

1758672233_ScreenShot2022-06-03at2_56_37PM.thumb.png.1e431288effdbb7bb8001a7e1500f2c9.png

Mods look fairly tasteful - I imagine the ride is quite harsh on passive M-sport suspension / 20's. Not sure about the map / aftermarket intake, would probably want it put back to stock. Price has been dropped by ~4k since listing so there may be a bit more fat in there. Most of my running is a 50k/day return commute (2x / week) so don't think the economy penalty would be terrible. Assume there'd be at least a 10k delta with a private sale for mine (2016 335d with 38k km)

Good idea / bad idea?

It's a wagon, I'm not seeing the downside here....

Presents nicely in the pics, agree the hot air intake is possibly something to change - but the induction noise gives those motors some character. The 20's look nice, just make sure your insurance covers rims with a reasonable excess for the repair job -  I'm paranoid about bending aftermarket rims having been through it enough to decide factory is just fine for me.

Again - It's a wagon, so I'm pretty much sold on the idea - please detail the engine bay when you buy it :D .

14 minutes ago, Twistee said:

It's a wagon, I'm not seeing the downside here....

Presents nicely in the pics, agree the hot air intake is possibly something to change - but the induction noise gives those motors some character. The 20's look nice, just make sure your insurance covers rims with a reasonable excess for the repair job -  I'm paranoid about bending aftermarket rims having been through it enough to decide factory is just fine for me.

Again - It's a wagon, so I'm pretty much sold on the idea - please detail the engine bay when you buy it :D .

Should clarify my current car is a wagon too @Twistee. The wheels may be reps but I think they're the 20" M Performance wheel that came on the 340i LCI Touring (Style 624M if google serves correctly). Yes the leaves in the underbonnet shot made my teeth itch as well!

22 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Should clarify my current car is a wagon too @Twistee. The wheels may be reps but I think they're the 20" M Performance wheel that came on the 340i LCI Touring (Style 624M if google serves correctly). Yes the leaves in the underbonnet shot made my teeth itch as well!

I still see no downside :D other than the engine bay grime.

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/335i/listing/3580759660

1758672233_ScreenShot2022-06-03at2_56_37PM.thumb.png.1e431288effdbb7bb8001a7e1500f2c9.png

Mods look fairly tasteful - I imagine the ride is quite harsh on passive M-sport suspension / 20's. Not sure about the map / aftermarket intake, would probably want it put back to stock. Price has been dropped by ~4k since listing so there may be a bit more fat in there. Most of my running is a 50k/day return commute (2x / week) so don't think the economy penalty would be terrible. Assume there'd be at least a 10k delta with a private sale for mine (2016 335d with 38k km)

Good idea / bad idea?

why would you want to swap the 335d for a 335i? 335D wagon sounds like an ideal daily driver to me...

@eliasJourneys are borderline too short for the diesel and like the idea of something that sounds a bit fruitier / done a bit more depreciating (might subsidize the i3 purchase!)

that makes sense, do these come with the ewg n55? Seem to be a fairly reliable engine when taken care of, and can be made to sound very good. Im sure you'd get good money for the 335d, have spoken to a few people who spent a long time looking for one of those and eventually gave up, seem to be quite rare, although it seems to be not the ideal time to sell a car right now

Looks like this one was built just after the pneumatic -> electric changeover @elias. If I was doing regular longer runs the diesel would be perfect but I’m not sure economy is much better than petrol in my usage given the long warm up time…the torque is addictive though, and the all weather traction is second to none

• Like 1

Make sure you drive it first. My guess is you will instantly miss the low and mid range torque of your 335d. The cost of a high speed 45 min run once a fortnight to keep the DPF in the 335d clear is the price you pay for the instant and substantial shove in the back each time you drive it around town. Even a well tuned 335i isn't going to give you that at low-mid rpms.

• Like 2

I was just thinking that myself. I’ve the n55, albeit in a much heavier body, but I do miss the more sensitive low rev response of the Touareg’s 3.0l diesel lump.

• Like 1