Sign in to follow this  
elias

Refinishing wheels

Ive got a set of CSL style wheels for my 135i that are currently painted white, and have a fair few chips in them. Im wanting to refurbish them, in gunmetal or shadow chrome sort of colour. Anyone here done this before? Wondering what the best way to remove the old paint is? Or am I better off just dropping them off at a powdercoater and getting them to do it?

Cheers

Get them powder coated and ask the powder coater who they’d recommend. And shop around. I did mine last year, quotes were from $60-90/wheel for powder coating and $50-85 for blasting. I had one wheel done (blasted) at a place as a cash job that cost $100 (quoted $80, but cash so…), then had to have it redone as the job was so poor.

Happy with the powder coating and they have a big range of colours.

• Like 1

Talk to Arrow Wheels. They build and repair wheels, have been around for several decades, and all the racing teams I know use them. They’ve done magic with all my wheels, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, and BMW. 

• Thanks 1

Consider acid dipping or media blasting to remove the paint.

Then get it painted rather than powder coat if you want a shiny finish (especially if you want it a gunmetal metallic type of colour)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

Consider acid dipping or media blasting to remove the paint.

Then get it painted rather than powder coat if you want a shiny finish (especially if you want it a gunmetal metallic type of colour)

right I see, any particular places you Ould recommend for paint? Most places ive found so far seem to offer powdercoating?

Wheel Fix It on the Shore will paint, and GT Refinishes in Penrose. I've used both, for a full repair I'd use the former, for painting alone I'd use the later. I wouldn't say either were the "best available" but still delivered good results for me.

• Thanks 1