Sign in to follow this  
monkeygod11

N54 Intercooler

Looking for recommendations for an intercooler to handle track days at Puke and Hampton. I've currently got the BMS 5" which can't handle the track at all (40-50 degrees C over ambient 🤒) , car is at 340Whp so think that equates to about stage 2. All other supporting mods have been done just my IATs are insane.

Looking at the CSF, or should I be going to the 7.5" race units from Mad/Masata/VRSF?

Cheers

The VRSF 7.5 one seems to be quite good from what ive heard, charge pipe meth injection could also help to reduce intake temps 

• Thanks 1

The thing I'm struggling with is that most of the info I can find on them is how they go for like 1 or 2 pulls not what's going on when on track. Like would the CSF be better as it looks to cool back down quicker or is a 7.5 race better as it won't get as hot in the first place maybe? 🤷‍♂️

good question, only one way to find out... the thing is most people that drive n54s use them from highway glory runs or doing one or two pulls rather than repeated, high rpm driving such as on a track. Might be worth trying to search up some track builds such as the Berk time attack 135i race car and see what sort of cooling they run, most of the time they seem to spend more effort on oil coolers etc reducing engine oil temps rather than IATs. Meth injection may be worth considering as a way to cool down the IATs, Ken from Wedge-performance recommends the AEM kit.

• Thanks 1

Sounds good @charles28 may be able to give some insight on this, using meth injection with tuned n54 on track.

• Thanks 1

These guys seem to have put a bit of thought into the design of an intercooler setup that will handle track work. Getting maximum airflow through the cooler by using a bit of cunning ducting is very much a part of racecar design. I don't know how much cutting away of factory plastic is involved, but again, you don't want your bumper/number plate etc interfering with airflow. 

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/50 

Cheers...

N54 FMIC6.jpg

Edited by jon dee
  • Thanks 1