Sign in to follow this  
NutStrikesAgain

Looking at a E30 but number of NZ owners is very high?!

I was interesting in buying a E30, which I went to see today, however the number of owners in NZ is 27... (since being imported in 1998)

So me that is a massive red flag of a car with problems - would other people on here agree?

• Like 1

I can understand your concerns with a number that high, however, I would look beyond that and focus on the condition of the car and give it a real thorough check on a hoist and test drive.

If you’re new to E30s and / or not overly mechanically savvy find a mate to take or use an inspection place who knows E30s.

9 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I can understand your concerns with a number that high, however, I would look beyond that and focus on the condition of the car and give it a real thorough check on a hoist and test drive.

If you’re new to E30s and / or not overly mechanically savvy find a mate to take or use an inspection place who knows E30s.

My main concern with that sort of ownership number is that I assume that the car must be a lemon or have had a weird history...

Currently it does run but has a some electrical wiring issues that needs re-doing/re-assembling for everything to function (its in a project state, so reg on hold, no wof etc.) So I am just wondering whether it's possible that the car might have an inherent electrical problem that no one can solve and therefore it keeps getting flipped???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NutStrikesAgain said:

I was interesting in buying a E30, which I went to see today, however the number of owners in NZ is 27... (since being imported in 1998)

So me that is a massive red flag of a car with problems - would other people on here agree?

Which one is it?

Unless you're dropping serious money on an E30 I would go with the general approach of the purchase price being 1/2 to 2/3rds the price to get it properly sorted - rust (yes it will have rust), suspension, electrical, engine, interior...

Worth it though.

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Which one is it?

Unless you're dropping serious money on an E30 I would go with the general approach of the purchase price being 1/2 to 2/3rds the price to get it properly sorted - rust (yes it will have rust), suspension, electrical, engine, interior...

Worth it though.

It hadn't been listed anywhere by the owner yet, they just happened to message me after I posted a E30 question on a Facebook page

14 hours ago, NutStrikesAgain said:

Currently it does run but has a some electrical wiring issues that needs re-doing/re-assembling for everything to function (its in a project state, so reg on hold, no wof etc.) So I am just wondering whether it's possible that the car might have an inherent electrical problem that no one can solve and therefore it keeps getting flipped???

Ah, I see, that does make it a lot harder to assess the size of the problem.

In all honesty there is not much wiring in an E30, so that helps (and very few modules). 

You could be right about the history, price your offer accordingly, could be a bargain if it’s a simple issue to fix.