Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

M56 cam cover

I really dislike the ccv system. When watching various videos on catch cans I discovered the M56 cam cover which seems like a great alternative. Unfortunately they're expensive new and used ones need to come from Cali. Has anyone here imported one before or have any leads on one?

Thanks 

Also interested. Have low-key been stalking on eBay but haven't come across one that wasn't stupidly expensive.

Alternatively, I'm considering getting one of these. Doesn't get rid of the CCV but at least it's a bit more solid being aluminium instead of plastic.

6 hours ago, Vass said:

Also interested. Have low-key been stalking on eBay but haven't come across one that wasn't stupidly expensive.

Alternatively, I'm considering getting one of these. Doesn't get rid of the CCV but at least it's a bit more solid being aluminium instead of plastic.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, they're stupidly expensive and never ship to NZ. I tried 50skid on YouTube but he doesn't have them either. I really want one. Such an elegant solution to a number of issues.

Will have a look at the aftermarket ones you have linked and a further think. 🤔 

I spend a lot of time on the E46Fanatics forum helping people fix their cars.

My opinion on the CCV is that it does what it was designed to do quite well but gets a bad rap due to people's misunderstandings, poor decisions and the minor problems with associated parts.

For example:

• Plastic tubes get brittle with age and break.  Vacuum leak created.  Being cost conscious they purchase the cheapest replacement parts from multiple manufacturers.  Part don't fit well, constantly chasing vacuum leaks.  Solution is to buy a whole kit from OE manufacturer.
  • Oil consumption goes up.  Cause traced to the CCV.  CCV replaced but does not fix the problem.  The older M54's have a tube inside a tube design for the dipstick tube oil return.  This gets blocked, oil can't return to the sump, so ends up going through the regulator to the inlet manifold.  Solution, clean the dipstick oil return tube or install the later M54 dipstick tube that has a design improvement.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Blackie said:

Yes, they're stupidly expensive and never ship to NZ. I tried 50skid on YouTube but he doesn't have them either. I really want one. Such an elegant solution to a number of issues.

There's currently this slightly crusty one on eBay that looks to be willing to ship to NZ that'd run you around $700. Should still clean up well. Or they're available new from FCPECS and Schmiedmann, with the latter being the cheapest at around $1,700 shipped. That's without the plastic covers too so would leave the coils a bit more exposed and look a bit suss.

Not something I'm considering dropping that sort of money on any time soon, with far too many other issues in need of addressing first. Cheaper to replace the whole CCV (PCV?) every year or two. But would be interesting to see someone have a go at it.

15 minutes ago, Vass said:

There's currently this slightly crusty one on eBay that looks to be willing to ship to NZ that'd run you around $700. Should still clean up well. Or they're available new from FCPECS and Schmiedmann, with the latter being the cheapest at around $1,700 shipped. That's without the plastic covers too so would leave the coils a bit more exposed and look a bit suss.

Not something I'm considering dropping that sort of money on any time soon, with far too many other issues in need of addressing first. Cheaper to replace the whole CCV (PCV?) every year or two. But would be interesting to see someone have a go at it.

Yes, seen that one too thanks. That one is going to require gaskets and wiring loom which I'm sure people will be unprepared  to split from other 'kits'.

I spent 3 hours last night trying to find if any made their way to wreckers in Canada because my brother is based there, but all the wrecking sites seems to reference the same database which didn't appear to work properly.

2 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

My opinion on the CCV is that it does what it was designed to do quite well but gets a bad rap due to people's misunderstandings, poor decisions and the minor problems with associated parts.

For example:

• Plastic tubes get brittle with age and break.  Vacuum leak created.  Being cost conscious they purchase the cheapest replacement parts from multiple manufacturers.  Part don't fit well, constantly chasing vacuum leaks.  Solution is to buy a whole kit from OE manufacturer.
  • Oil consumption goes up.  Cause traced to the CCV.  CCV replaced but does not fix the problem.  The older M54's have a tube inside a tube design for the dipstick tube oil return.  This gets blocked, oil can't return to the sump, so ends up going through the regulator to the inlet manifold.  Solution, clean the dipstick oil return tube or install the later M54 dipstick tube that has a design improvement.

Thanks, I'm not having any of those issues. I'm more concerned that it's a yogurt maker for my engine.

1 minute ago, Blackie said:

Yes, seen that one too thanks. That one is going to require gaskets and wiring loom which I'm sure people will be unprepared  to split from other 'kits'.

Pretty sure the wiring loom and coils are the same as any newer M54 ones, anything after September 2002 I believe. Both my current E46's have the new style plug in coils. You could easily just snip those from Pick-A-Part no issues.

3 minutes ago, Vass said:

Pretty sure the wiring loom and coils are the same as any newer M54 ones, anything after September 2002 I believe. Both my current E46's have the new style plug in coils. You could easily just snip those from Pick-A-Part no issues.

Sweet, cheers for that.

28 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I'm more concerned that it's a yogurt maker for my engine.

If you're having problems with Mayo/yogurt build up, then that's more of a sign of too many short runs during winter.  The engine is not getting up to temp long enough to dry out the moisture in the crankcase.

27 minutes ago, Vass said:

Pretty sure the wiring loom and coils are the same as any newer M54 ones, anything after September 2002 I believe.

The M56 cars use the MS45 DME.  If your car has a MS45 DME then there are no issues.

People start getting into trouble if they have the MS42 (M52TU) or MS43 (early M54) DME's.  Each one uses a different method of earthing the coils.  There can be 1, 2, or 3 Earthing resistors in the system.  If you get misfire codes post M56 valve cover installation, then you have the wrong coil earthing system for your DME.

2 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

If you're having problems with Mayo/yogurt build up, then that's more of a sign of too many short runs during winter.  The engine is not getting up to temp long enough to dry out the moisture in the crankcase.

Okay, I guess I'll just walk. 😂

The M56 seems to do a much better job of keeping everything hot by doing the separating in the cam cover and not sending the left overs to the oil. It also has the added benefit that it is aluminum so not as prone to warping and the CCV is super accessible for replacements. I'd really like to track one down to give it a try.

6 minutes ago, Blackie said:

It also has the added benefit that it is aluminum so not as prone to warping and the CCV is super accessible for replacements.

Really? Didn't think it was serviceable. Or are those diaphragms now available from somewhere?

28 minutes ago, Vass said:

Really? Didn't think it was serviceable. Or are those diaphragms now available from somewhere?

Yes, people have reported them being available now aftermarket.

9 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

For example:

NZ climate also is much more forgiving  than the many of the states . The valves themselves seem to last a long time here at least and you rarely see them having been replaced.