Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Ramps vs trolley jack for oil change

Thinking I want to DIY the oil change on the E91 320i I'm looking after atm - internet suggests that ramps are probably a better option than a jack. Any counter opinions for this?

You should never work under a vehicle while it is only supported by a hydraulic jack. (Carefully written to avoid ambiguity or any reference to wring-doing that I may, or may not, have been guilty of at some point.)

I have some offcuts of 2" timber that I create ramps from and drive up on to so that the car is high enough to get under and access the drain plug, but not so high that the oil can be affected by a prevailing breeze and blown clear of the pan I use to catch stuff...

Yeah i don't think you could safety do an oil change on a E91 only using jack. Engine\drain is mounted quite far back.

As above, question is:

Ramp or jack + stands.

Answer is:

Jack + stands is more versatile, ramps are cheaper and quicker.

Yeah, I do it the gjm way on stock cars. Just drive them onto blocks, and there is enough space to reach all the way back to the drain plug. 

On the E30 I have to drive it onto blocks, then put the jack under it, put it on stands and then I'm good to go. 

And as M3AN says, if you're wanting to do more than just oil changes, the jack and stands give you way more options. 

You'll probably find, depending on spec, you will have trouble getting an e91 on most commercial ramps as they are really steep and will hit the bumper. I've had mine for years but barely use them because of this. 

• Like 1

Real men just park straddling the gutter and crawl under to do an oil change :DudeComeOn-min:

Cheers...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jon dee said:

Real men just park straddling the gutter and crawl under to do an oil change :DudeComeOn-min:

Cheers...

Drained straight into the gutter, right?

3 hours ago, KwS said:

Drained straight into the gutter, right?

Yeah... nah... we don't do that round our way. Better to catch the old oil in a 10 litre bucket and let it stand somewhere quiet for a month. Then the black stuff sinks to the bottom and you can decant the clear oil off and use it again. Gotta recycle for the good of the environment :) 

Cheers...