Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Service history printout from main dealer

For those of you working for BMW in an official capacity ( @E30 325i Rag-Top, @Gaz ?) - is it possible for a dealer to access all of the service history within the BMW NZ network for a particular vehicle or do I have to contact each dealer individually?

I cant help on the specific you asked for, but be aware that a lot of dealers will not provide service history from previous owners due to privacy concerns. 

• Like 1

Noted - I was the owner of the vehicle during relevant period. I know Audi do a service history printout stating what has been done and when without any ownership details

If anyone does manage to find a way through this I'm sure many of us will be very keen to follow the same path. I don't see why with the removal of ownership details that privacy comes into this, I'd be more than happy to pay a fee to cover the time. 

How old is the vehicle? Unless the dealers are owned by the same company then each dealer can't view other dealers records so youd have to contact each dealer. If you were the owner at the time this wont be an issue. It will also depend on what management system the dealer uses as some systems can give  a brief overview of everything they have done without customer info. Electronic records are available to view by all but you can see all that in the idrive

• Like 1

Thanks @Gaz - it's an E91 so guess it'll be a case of phoning around for records. The electronic history on the newer ones does make things easier in some respects.

Manawatu BMW gave me a printout of all of the service history of my 135i before I sold it. It included all of the servicing and recalls carried out in Japan too.

Auckland City BMW told me, with a degree of confidence, that no recalls had ever been performed on my 130i, in NZ or Japan.

So at least that dealer can apparently see a central, international, database. Or they lied to me. Perhaps that's for recalls only?

When I purchased the M3 way back in the early 00's Team McMillan gave me the names and phone numbers of the two previous owners, as well as all the service history. 😂 Oh, how times have changed!

You can see warranty work including recalls and what dealer number completed the work

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

So at least that dealer can apparently see a central, international, database. Or they lied to me. Perhaps that's for recalls only?

Correct, due to the importance of recalls being carried out they are co-ordinated through a central BMW AG run system.

All other transactions between the customer and the dealership are recorded in the Dealership Management System (DMS), which is not a central system. As Gaz says above the info is dealer specific and cannot be accessed by any other dealer - for obvious reasons.

@E30 325i Rag-Top it appears the idrive service records are centrally stored though? As they update when the vehicle is ‘plugged in’ at dealership. 
guess I should’ve tried harder not to lose the receipts

Not 100% sure, I thought they were held in the vehicle only from when the service reset is done? They also update as they drive around as well (condition based servicing) back to base, but where that info is stored, and whether it can be queried, and/or printed I couldn’t tell you.

All the “service records” I have seen printed, especially with the job details, have been printed from the DMS.

Do they not stamp the Service Book anymore??🤪

My understanding is you can update them in the vehicle if you have an unsanctioned copy of ISTA but those non-dealer services (unless your indy has registered with BMW) will be deleted if the car is ever plugged in again at the dealer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

My understanding is you can update them in the vehicle if you have an unsanctioned copy of ISTA but those non-dealer services (unless your indy has registered with BMW) will be deleted if the car is ever plugged in again at the dealer.

To veer slightly off topic, what is the easiest way to get my car to recognise it has brand new brakes all round? 

5 hours ago, balancerider said:

@E30 325i Rag-Top it appears the idrive service records are centrally stored though? As they update when the vehicle is ‘plugged in’ at dealership. 
guess I should’ve tried harder not to lose the receipts

As long as the service advisor and tech have completed their bit then yes.. oh and the system is working. It's available via the key reader software I forget what it's called, it's been a wild 2.5 years since I left. 

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

Got an iPhone with BimmerLink app  @Palazzo? Assume wear sensors changed simultaneously?

Have an iPhone, yes, everything changed. Will look at the Bimmerlink.

Which OBDII or wifi adapters are supported?