Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

AA Insurance - Thoughts?

Anyone use AA? Any thoughts on them? They look to have pretty decent customer satisfaction reports from consumer NZ.

Im currently with AMI, who have made a complete and utter f**king mess of recent claim on house and are not digging up. Looking to change insurer (2 cars, house/contents, business with 1 car)

My only issue with AA is that they forced me to use their own useless S.M.A.R.T. repair shop on my BMW, even though I wanted to get someone else to do the repair. And not surprisingly they did a pretty half arsed job on the repair.

Prior to that they had been good, and paid up the full agreed value on my Scooby when it was stolen.

I use Trade Me Insurance (basically Tower) for House / Contents and nice car

Good rates, good interfaces and never had an issue with a few claims.

Classic Cover for the old POS

I have AA, 3 claims, contents and vehicle, vehicle was done to an excellent standard (was very minor), first contents also excellent, one now has been easy but slow, COVID apparently. No complaints, fair premiums, discounts for combined and the Aa membership is pretty much paid for in discounts on insurance and wof.

• Like 2

Use to be with AA and the service at claim time was always good.  However State gave me a much cheaper online quote and AA said they don't price match so I went to State.

I've had one claim with AA.  When I rang to make a claim they kept on banging on about how I can take the car wherever I like to get it fixed.  When I did that the quote from who I chose was higher than their repairer's quote and they came back at me with this part of their policy saying I needed either take it to their repairer, or if I do take it to who I'd like to take it to I need to pay the difference between the quotes.  This is the part of the policy they sent me.

Paying the costs to repair your vehicle

We can choose to pay the cost to repair your vehicle to a standard comparable to the condition of your vehicle immediately before the 

event. We will pay the lowest of the:

• reasonable cost of the repairs as estimated by our assessor
  • amount we would have paid if we arranged the repair ourselves.

We will not be responsible for the quality of workmanship provided by the repairer. We will not provide any guarantee relating to the repair.

It's available on this page.  https://www.aainsurance.co.nz/manage-policy/policy-documents/comprehensive-car-insurance-policy-document-before-22-may-2022 

I ended up taking to their people, and they did a good job so no complaints there.

My other $0.05 is they keep trying to low ball me on agreed value each year when the policy renews.  They're probably not they only company to do it but it still annoys me :) 

Edited by Spinner99

I left AA after two claims that ended with one car being repaired 3 times and then being sent to a Euro panel shop for a proper fix, and the second where a pin dent from a door ended up with half the car being resprayed because the panel shop did such a hack job. The AA assessor was incredibly useless and as it turned out had signed off on payment to the panel shop before the job had even been done, so did everything he could to avoid getting the car correctly repaired elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Spinner99 said:

My other $0.05 is they keep trying to low ball me on agreed value each year when the policy renews.  They're probably not they only company to do it but it still annoys me :) 

That’s funny, they were $15k higher than my purchase price on agreed value and are still happy with it 2 years later.

I have 3 cars with AA and 2 with classic cover. 

Recent claim with AA was great. Filed online. They called me and went over the details. Picked whatever panel shop I wanted in town. Place I wanted had a two month wait time which they were happy if I was happy. 

Also had contents for the house with them until my mortgage holder forced me to change to their crap.

State can get stuffed. They are a nightmare to deal with. Entire family dumped them. They caused me some serious headaches when I was young. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

State can get stuffed. They are a nightmare to deal with. Entire family dumped them. They caused me some serious headaches when I was young. 

Agreed, had the same and I had to threaten them with court action as a teenager they backed off and paid up, but now Im black listed by state, no loss :D 

Ill call AA Monday and get some quotes and agreed values sorted. 

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Agreed, had the same and I had to threaten them with court action as a teenager they backed off and paid up, but now Im black listed by state, no loss :D 

Ill call AA Monday and get some quotes and agreed values sorted. 

If you're low mileage AA do classic car insurance. It's a lot cheaper...

1 hour ago, jom said:

If you're low mileage AA do classic car insurance. It's a lot cheaper...

I’ve got my M5 on their classic cover package and there’s no where in the policy about mileage restrictions, for 5 years now. They do low ball each year for renewal in value which is annoying and an extra $100 for a valuation to get agreed value. 

Had a claim on the X3 recently for Fr bumper damage and it was quite painless. While the work carried out by their choice of shop was good, I found things in the engine bay not re-installed properly. I wasn’t given a choice of which shop did the work. 

Have been with state, ami and tower over the years. Have only ever made 3 claims including the recent X3 one. AA hands down the best. The rest can ggf’d.

We had a couple of claims with AA over the years (probably 10 years) and no issues. Yes they do low ball your value every year and I was always aware they might send any damaged car to somewhere hopeless, however I really liked their policy where you can purchase a vehicle or damage one you are borrowing and be covered automatically if you already have vehicle cover with them. 

Ended up with FMG because public liability, business interruption etc package was cheaper, but would recommend AA.